Chapter Fourteen

As I walked through the halls of Salem High, I kept hearing murmurs. Everyone was talking about the girl that had been attacked and Ivelyn Matthers Halloween party. I didn't know how I felt about either of those topics. So, I kept walking, trying to find my locker before the first bell rang. Addie text me, saying she was going to be late. I slipped my phone into my bag, hearing it thud at the bottom.

I shut my locker and came face to face-- er chest. It was Erik. He was so tall my head only came p to his chest. A noise escaped my lips, sounding like an "oof," and I looked up. His eyes looked like a brewing storm. I was caught off guard.

"Cornelia," I had told him twice now to call me Corn. "I want to talk about the other day." I hitched my backpack up on my shoulder. He sighed. "I want to apologize." I waited for him to say something, but he just stood there.

"Okay? Are you going to apologize?" He narrowed his eyes at me.

"I just did." I crossed my arms over my chest. He was not good at this. His face twirled into annoyance.

"No, you said you want to apologize, but that doesn't count as an apology." He cracked his knuckles, out of habit. He was getting ruffled, I could tell by the way he fidgeted. I waited for him to apologize, but I didn't think he was actually going to.

"You're making this really hard, you know?" I rolled my eyes at him. I wasn't going to make this easier for him. If he wanted to apologize he was going to actually apologize to me. I started to walk away, but he reached out for me. "Wait, okay, okay." He easily spun me around with his warms hands. He was still holding me. I looked at his hands on my arms, causing him to let go. Then, he put them up defensively. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said those things. You can talk to whoever you want to." The mask had fallen off his face -- he looked so different when he was being nice.

"Was that so hard?" He raised an eyebrow at me. "Thank you, I forgive you." He nodded and went to turn away. "I'm sorry too. I wasn't being fair and I shouldn't have said those things." I started spinning the ring on my finger. Erik was surprised. I don't think he expected me to apologize to him.

I wonder if anyone has ever told him they're sorry?

"Don't mention it." He whispered and then left. Erik was even more of a mystery than I had last thought. There was definitely a lot he didn't say, so I guess he was a little like me in that way. As he walked away I watched him go, wishing he would let someone in. Today, he didn't wear his leather jacket. He wore an army green trench jacket and underneath a black t-shirt with matching black jeans. I could hear his combat boots thudding against the linoleum even as he rounded the corner.

I was about halfway to History when Ivelyn and her posse intercepted me. I sighed at the sight of her. She was, as always looking beautiful. She wore a white knit crop top with a light grey cardigan over the top and a burgundy mini skirt with black knee-length socks and black Mary Jane's. Her long hair was straightened and parted in the middle. She looked like she was right off the cover of a magazine.

Mir and Kate flanked her, giving the illusion of a ruler. Mir wore a pink sweater with a jean mini skirt and white Converse and her blonde hair was in curls today. Kate wore a wool sweater and straight-legged jeans. They were all three staring at me, Kate even adjusted her glasses to stare longer. I sighed.

"Moreau," Ivelyn called. I looked up at the ceiling, debating if I really wanted to do this. I didn't, but she left me no choice. The three of them were blocking my way.

"Yeah?" When I looked over they were even closer. Ivelyn's eyes twinkled like emeralds in the light. I didn't even want to comment on why she called me by my last name. The three of them, in unison, took two steps closer.