chapter nine

It wasn't until late at night that he actually ended up at home. A shortcut turned them to a familiar road they'd drive through when nights were rough, and they found themselves cruising down a highway through the desert, slow, steady, no helmets on as they talked about the missing chunk of each other's lives neither knew of. Surely they'd get in trouble if caught by the authorities, but who would have seen them when most are too busy in the city?

He closed the door and then threw his jacket on the couch, the quiet confinements of his home singing a sweet melody. It used to drive him up the walls to hear the hum of his refrigerator or the breaths he took, but it was nice now. It was a sound he took for granted, especially since he had company now who didn't know the difference between being inquisitive and being unnecessarily talkative.

His eyes suddenly widened as his shirt joined his leather, his heart racing as he remembered his unofficial roommate.

Michael.

He ran to his bedroom, immediately slamming the door open and then tumbling to the bathroom door as he tripped over the clothes he didn't pick up. He knocked it open roughly, immediately flipping the switch on to see the being asleep inside his shower. His head was leaned against the granite interior, gaze tilted up to the sky roof that had a killer view of the stars inside the night sky.

He felt a rush of guilt flood through him and he sighed as he hung his head low. He had forgotten about him all day. It felt nice to not have to worry about the being, and he must have gotten too carried away in wringing out the normal parts of his life to remember the surreal parts.

He approached his shower and then opened the glass, stepping inside slowly to take a look at his body. He wasn't big, neither in height or weight, but he doesn't know if he'd be able to carry him the way he'd like to.

He tried though, because he'd feel bad for waking him up a second time in a row after finding him peacefully asleep.

He slung an arm around his neck as he bent down, taking a deep breath as he wrapped one arm around his back and another in the bend of his knees. He imagined him being a weight, an unevenly spaced barbell that was shirtless, sleeping, and had an arm that swayed beneath him as he lifted.

With a readjustment of his footing and a slight bounce, he had him hiked in his arms comfortably. He carefully carried him out of the shower, making sure not to bump his head in or legs on the doorframe. He sucked in a breath when he shifted in his arms, and swiftly set him in his bed before he could make too drastic of a movement and knock them both over.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled before wiping his forehead of the sweat that's gathered.

How could he make it up to him?

He pulled his wallet out and then looked at his cash, finding only fifteen dollars and maybe a coupon for a half off pizza. Behind them was his credit card, something his promised himself he wouldn't use unless he absolutely needed to, but making sure Michael wasn't mad at him was more than enough of a reason to use it.

He could potentially stop Michael from killing him in his sleep, Luke told himself though a part of him knew the being would never. It was what he clung to to justify his actions.

Before he could change his mind, he was running through his living room and out the door, immediately locking it behind him and making his way down to get his own bike. Hopefully it wasn't too late.

-

He didn't know where to put his helmet, so he carried it under his arm as he walked into the building. Yellow lights shone down on ivory stands and smooth velvet, making the whole room shine in a beautiful golden haze. He got a lot of odd stares from people around him, dirty looks from elder women who brushed against his leather clad arm and unsure glances from the people behind the counter. He understands.