eight.

That day was just like any other. It was the next day that really threw Trixie for a loop.

It started out like any other day, Trixie's alarm rang and she forced herself to get up and get ready for school.

She spotted Katya right as she walked in. She was surrounded by what Trixie assumed to be her group of friends. Katya looked up and made eye contact with Trixie, but when she realized Trixie was walking her way, she quickly excused herself from the group and headed in the opposite direction.

Trixie's fast pace slowed to a halt, her smile fading. Brushing it off, she went to her first class.

All Trixie could think about all day was Katya ignoring her. She was still excited for lunch, though. She hoped Katya might come sit with her.

But, lunch rolled around and Katya was nowhere to be found until the end of the period. As Trixie stood up to throw her trash away, she saw Katya smoking a cigarette on a bench in the far corner of the courtyard.

Trixie raised her head and waved in Katya's direction, which caught the girl's attention. She put out her cigarette and hurried inside. 'Why is she doing this?' Trixie wondered to herself, hurt.

-

Trixie met up with Kim after school that day in the local coffee shop a few streets down from Trixie's house. She told Kim everything about her and Katya.

"No way! You guys did... that?"

Trixie turned beet red. "Shhh! Keep your voice down!" She looked around to make sure no one had heard Kim. "We did, but... she ignored me all day today. I really like her, Kim, and I thought she liked me too." Her eyes became wet and tears pooled before slowly rolling down her cheeks. "Why would she do this to me? What did I do? I thought she was different but she's just like Brad. She just wanted to use me and get whatever she could out of me before dipping."

Kim reached across the table and rubbed Trixie's arm as she cried softly. "Do you want to spend the night at mine? I can have my mom make us kimchi and we can watch America's Next Top Model."

Trixie looked up at her purple-headed friend. "Really?" she sniffled. Kim nodded and smiled softly. "Thanks, Kim."

"What are friends for?" Kim giggled. "Go home and get your stuff, I'll wait here. When you get back we'll go."

Trixie smiled and hurriedly grabbed her bag, rushing out of the café.

A few minutes later, a group came in. Through 3 other goth-looking girls, Kim saw one that was all too familiar: Katya.

Kim locked eyes with the girl and motioned for her to come sit. Katya hesitantly obliged.

Katya gave Kim a questioning look as she sat down. "What's up? You're... Trixie's friend... right?"

"Yeah. She was just telling me about what you guys.. y'know... did... and I was just wondering what the hell you think you're doing?"

"Listen, I-" Katya worriedly glanced over at her friend group who was waving for her to come sit with them. Looking back at Kim, she finished her sentence. "It's my prerogative, okay? Why don't you quit meddling in issues that don't concern you."

Kim, stunned, watched Katya as she walked away. At that moment she grabbed her things and went to wait for Trixie outside at one of the picnic tables.

-

After about 10 minutes, Trixie came trotting back up to Kim. "I'm ready! Thanks again, Kim, for letting me stay with you."

Kim smiled and the 2 headed off to Kim's house.