Beautiful Creatures

Mattie was walking Marilyn to her room much to August's,Elizabeth's and Douglas's dismay. When Marilyn stopped suddenly. She looked at Mattie and Admitted. "You know, I've never worn a dress before."

"You wouldn't want to." Confessed Mattie. "They are incredible hard to fight in."

"But I do though!" Proclaimed Marilyn. "I want to feel like a girl!"

She looked at Mattie a little shyly "You have dresses don't you?" She squeaked.

"Lots!" Replied Mattie.

Marilyn's eyes brightened "Do you think I could...um well.."

Mattie could see Marilyn was struggling. "Try some on?" She suggested.

"Oh yes please I would love that very much!" Marilyn beamed. "Let's go now!"

"Now?" Questioned Mattie. "Don't you think you're a bit worn out?"

"No please let's go now!" She burst out. "This is the only time that Elizabeth and August have left me alone it has to be now!"

Mattie could see the other girl was desperate. "Okay let's go."

+++++++

When they got to Mattie house Marilyn was speechless. "It's splendid!" She Marvelled.

Mattie unlocked the door knowing that Walter was out all day. She showed Marilyn to her walk in wardrobe. Her mouth dropped open she ran her hands along all the dresses her eyes sparkling with excitement. "Their beautiful! Every single one of them!" She cried.

Mattie liked that about Marilyn she talked about the dresses like they were alive. Like they were beings, creatures. For the next hour they tried on dress after dress after dress. Marilyn finally decided on a sky blue one to match her eyes. She was about the same size as Mattie so it looked wonderful on her.

"If only August could see me." She breathed. They sat on Mattie's bed while drinking orange juice.

"So how come you've never worn a dress before?" Chatted Mattie.

"Well I've been at the Empire for most of my life and as you know their not very fond of dresses." Marilyn responded.

After a silence Marilyn began. "You know my parents sent me to the Empire when I was just five years old five."

"So they sent you so you could harness your powers and learn to control them." Mattie hypothesised.

"No." Marilyn laughed bitterly. But Mattie could sense the laugh was a cover up of her hurt.

"They didn't want me. They as good as kicked me out. They thought I was a freak." She burst out. Her protective shell was breaking.

Mattie put her hand over Marilyn's and held tight.

"I haven't seen them since." She declared.

She looked at Mattie with a forced smile. "Why don't they want me?" She whimpered. Her shell was gone completely.

"They don't deserve you." Mattie said firmly. Mattie could feel tears brimming her eyes. She thought her mum was disapproving. She realised she didn't know the meaning of the word.

"We should head back." Marilyn croaked. "I'll just take your dress off."

"No!" Mattie said clutching her arm "it's yours."