"chapter fourteen"

"laura's missing"

"i thought she was supposed to come over after the oath yesterday? did she not call you?" eddie says to richie as he paces back a fourth in front of his friends

"maybe she just forgot" mike says. richie stops walking. "are you kidding? no way she hates her house she would do the opposite than forget." richie says biting his inner lip.

"l-let's just go to her house, m-maybe sh-she really did richie" bill says.

"fine" richie quietly says while jumping on his bike. the losers race over to laura's house.

richie jumps off his bike before he can even stop it. "s-sold" richie stutters. "she moved?" ben asks. "no-no she wouldn't leave without telling me" richie pushes his glasses up before running up the stairs.

he bangs on the door "laura! laura baby if you are in there please come out, LAURA!" the door starts to unlock, revealing laura's mother.

"hi miss hargrove, i'm richie a friend of laura's can i talk to her?" richie asks nervously.

miss hargrove starts to laugh. "wh-whats so funny?" stanley asks. "if you wanna talk to her you can either get her new number or find a way to indiana" she says taking a puff of her cigarette.

"indiana? what's she doing there?" eddie asks. "oh, she didn't tell you? well, she didn't really have time. her father won custody he took her yesterday, moved to some town called hawkins, i don't know but he didn't give me a number or anything so good luck finding her" she says starting to close the door.

"w-wait" bill says stopping the door with his hand. "th-those boxes with her name on them, sh-shes coming back to g-get them right?" he asks.

"well i don't know about laura herself but i know her dad is next saturday around 12pm i guess, but i don't think he would wanna talk to a group of loser boys about his teenage daughter" she says.

"look i'm sorry boys but i got food in the oven and i really don't wanna stand here any longer, good luck" she says closing the door.

"fuck fuck fuck FUCK!" richie yells kicking his bike.

"r-richie calm down" bill says. "how could she just leave me like that i thought—she—fucking—loved—me!" he continues to kick his bike as his eyes tear up.

"it wasn't her fault" stanley rolls his eyes. "huh?" richie says. "did you not hear what her mom said, her dad just showed up unexpected without a warning and took her, she probably didn't have the time to tell you" stanley suggests.

"y-yeah stan is right, sh-she wouldn't do that to you, she w-wouldn't do that to none of us" he says, picking richies bike up. "n-next s-saturday we just have to sh-show up and talk to her dad so we can get their new number" bill nods.

"but her mom was right, he wont talk to a group of losers. i think just bill should go" ben says. "bill?" richie asks. "why me?" bill asks. "what do you mean why, it's RICHIE talking to laura's DAD it will never work out." ben says.

"he's right" eddie says. "really eddie?" richie asks. "yes really, i think bill should go" everybody nods their heads. "o-okay i guess i-i'll go" bill says as everybody jumps on their bikes.

hawkins indiana

"i just don't understand why i couldn't just say bye to all my friends" laura says as she miserably unpacks her bag.

"because, i know how friends work, they would've found a way to get you out of this" her dad says.

"but they are my best friends i don't—" her older brother billy silenced her.

"hey loudmouth, we all had to move here, but maxine made some friends, didn't ya max?" billy says, taking a bite out of his apple.

max rolls her eyes "he's not wrong, it wasn't as bad as i thought. you can hang with some of my friends, but warning i'm the only girl in the group" max laughs.

the only girl in the group reminded laura of beverly, the best friend she dearly misses.

"yeah. thanks" laura says. "okay i'm out, we're running or your walking" billy says to max.

"bye laura!" max waves before running out the door with her brother.

"okay, well your father and i have work but i'll be home in time for dinner" her stepmom says. "i know it's a change but, don't worry we are here for you" she smiles putting a strand of hair behind her ears.

"always sweetheart" her dad smiles kissing her forehead before the two leave. laura sighs once again before she continues tidying up her half of her room.

back in derry

"wait boys!" miss hargrove yells. the boys turn their heads stopping their bikes. "uh which one of you is richie tozier again?" she asks holding up a piece of paper.

"uh that's me!" richie says running her to her taking the note from her hand.

richie runs up to his friends as they circle around him. the note read "richie tozier <3" richie hurries to open the note. "dear richie" he read.

Dear Richie,
Richie don't be mad at me please. I'm writing as fast as i can right now. I didn't wanna leave you or anyone else with nothing to work with. You all are a group of determined boys, sorry but mostly bill. look i don't know much except i'm going to hawkins, indiana with my dad and my step mom. i have a half sister— maxine she's my age. and my full brother billy. i will be going to hawkins high school. please don't come here, talk to my dad when he picks up the rest of my stuff. do something, i wanna come back to derry. i already miss you and the rest. Richie, Bill, Eddie,Stanley,Mike and Ben. I love you all endlessly and if i never get a chance to see you again. this is goodbye.

"love you one and only loudmouth, laura hargrove" richie read, his voice cracking. he needed her back and he needed her back here fast.