1

alternate ending to the scene where they're laying in the lot together and watching the stars :)

edit: I'm reading this back like 2 months later and... ew... these first few chapters are not my best work, and it was my way of coming back after not writing for like 6 months. So if you suffer through these first few, good luck.

NOTE: if you want an actual story instead of oneshots, go checkout my other Johnnyboy books, Yellow Roses and Lost & Found!

now thanks for reading and enjoy!

Johnny's POV

I lay in the grass, legs crossed, staring up at the stars. I have no idea what time it is, but I'm sure Pony has to go soon..

Speaking of Pony and the stars, they kind of remind me of him. The way the stars dot the sky, millions and millions of them, and how we'll never reach them. Kinda like.. Pony's freckles.

I glanced over at him. He was sound asleep, breathing steadily and quietly.

Looking back at the sky, I sighed. I was thinking about what Pony said earlier. About living in the country. No Socs and no greasers, no parents and no school. Just the gang...

Just as that thought creeped into my mind, I heard a low, raspy voice say "Johnny?"

I turned onto my side, to see that Pony had woken up. "Mhm?" I hummed in response.

"What time is it?" He asked, stretching, as he propped his cheek up on his elbow.

"Mm.. I dunno.. must be late, though.." I said, making sure to keep my voice down.

Pony nodded, laying his head back down in the wet grass.

"I think maybe I'll stay here.." I mumbled, yawning.
"..maybe I will, too." He murmured.

"Wouldn't Darry and Soda be worried about you..?"

"Mhm," Pony hummed, "but it's worth it.. To stay here with you."

I smiled, turning my head in the opposite direction.

"Y'know.." he continued, "how I've never really been interested in.. girls?"

"Mhm," I nodded.

"Well.. it's, uh," Pony paused, turning his head a little to my opposite way, but continuing, "Geez, I don't know how to say this.."

"You can tell me, Pony.. whatever it is."

He was quiet for a few seconds. "I.. like you, Johnny. A lot, and I know boys aren't supposed to like boys, but I couldn't help it and if you don't like me that's perfectly-"

"Shhh-" I turned, putting my finger to his lips. "I do like you, Pony."

I didn't know I felt that way until the words flew so easily off my tongue.

"I do like you and I do want to be with you, but-"

"We can't.." He sighed.

I nodded slowly, as I scooted over to him.
I laid my head on his chest, sighing. He started playing with my hair, while humming quietly.

After a few minutes, his humming got quieter, and I could tell he was going to fall asleep. I turned over and kissed his cheek, whispering "Stay gold, Ponyboy." And closing my own eyes.

Once his humming had fully faded out, and he was asleep, I allowed myself to drift off. Loved and happy, i let myself slip from consciousness.