Chapter 37

Plutarch looks at me with a look of dread on his face.
"How did he work that out" he asks.

"I don't know, he said it just as I was passing out. The next thing I knew I was coming too on the drop ship. He also said that if Peeta ever took the job it'll cost him his life".

Plutarch looks at the ground, deep in thought. I sense a pair of eyes boring into the side of my head and look to see Peeta staring at me stone faced. He grabs my arm and leads me away from the others.

"Thanks for telling me Kat, that Wolfe had me pegged as president, that's just great. Even my wife's keeping things from me now!"

"Peeta I'm sorry, I didn't think. I should of told you I know but everything's happening so fast. I'm struggling to take it all in" I plead

"But Kat, that's a direct threat on my life. I'll never become or want to become president but Wolfe can't be trusted. As I said last night he seems able to reach us in places we'd never expect and he's already threatened us if we don't join the Uprising. Tell me, had you already worked out that it was me Plutarch was thinking of?"

I nod, looking down at the ground, avoiding eye contact with Peeta.
I look up to see him walking off, away from the crowd.
"Peeta!" I shout. But he ignores me and strides away toward the woods.

"Let him go sweetheart" I turn to see Haymitch, standing behind me.
He walks over and puts an arm around my shoulder.

"You didn't tell him then?"

"No, what with everything that's been going on. I mean, this only happened yesterday, and I was pretty out of it last night". I start to cry again. What's wrong with me, I'm never this emotional.
Haymitch puts his arms around me and hugs me as I sob, gently stroking my hair.

"He'll be okay sweetheart, go and find him. He'll calm down soon enough"

"I hope so, it's such a horrible feeling knowing I've upset him. I only want to make him happy, you know that don't you Haymitch?" I say sobbing.

"I know, and so does Peeta. He loves you and I've never known him to be mad for very long and  he's probably already worrying about you now. You too are made for each other and you know one and other so well. Go and find him"

Haymitch lets me go and gives me a gentle shove toward the woods.
I walk away from the training area and follow the main path into the woods. I walk in a daze, not really listening for anything. I soon find two figures sat on a log with their backs to me at a crossroads in the forest. As I get closer I see its Peeta and Gale.
Gale hears me shuffling toward them, puts his hand on Peeta's shoulder then turns and walks toward me. He doesn't stop, just gives me a weak smile as he passes by. I walk toward Peeta. He's drawing in the pine needles by his feet with a stick, deep in thought.
I stand in front of him, his eyes still looking down at the stick.

"Peeta" I croak, my voice full of emotion. He looks up to see my face, my cheeks stained with tears. He holds out his arm for me to sit next to him. I sit and lean my head on his shoulder whilst he puts his arm around me. I start sobbing again. He turns to me, kissing my forehead.

"I'm sorry Peeta, I really am. Please forgive me" I whimper

"I'm sorry too Baby. I was wrong to get angry with you. You've been through so much, I keep forgetting that"

I stand up and walk into his open arms, resting my head on his chest.
"Can we put this behind us?" he asks

I nod "yes please" I whimper again.

Peeta starts laughing, and I look up to see him smiling at me.
"What?" I ask

"Listen to yourself, you can hardly speak"