Chapter 25

Haymitch and I make our way back to the medical level. I walk back into Peeta's room to find Gale sat in the chair with Megan stood behind him with her arms draped loosely around his neck. The scene catches me off guard. Could it be that Gale and Megan are together? Come to think of it, it wouldn't surprise me. She's a lovely girl, pretty, clever and of a similar age to me. Gale and Megan see me enter and Megan nervously drops her arms to her sides.

"Hey" I say to them.

I walk round the bed and give Megan a hug, if they are together I don't want her feeling awkward around me.

"Feeling better Catnip?"

"A little, I just wish none if this had happened"

I feel a hand rest on my shoulder and turn to see my Mom.

"Why don't you get some rest, nothing's going to happen for now. It's best for him that we keep him under until the wound in his chest heals a little more. Maybe tomorrow we'll start bringing him round" she says

"I just want to sit with him Mom, is that Okay?"

"Of course darling, I'll bring you some tea"

Gale and Megan go off to see Joel and I sit down in the chair. I look at his face, just as still and calm as I left him earlier. Haymitch comes round and stands behind me.

"Paylor came to see me" I say

"I know, I spoke with her in the corridor after she saw you. She's feels awful you know, she blames herself for what's happened to Peeta".

"And so she should" I say with venom in my voice.

"Katniss, how do you feel about a quick trip back to 12, Gale and Megan can come too"

"Why, I want to stay here with Peeta"

"Just trust me, it's not a long flight and we can be back here this afternoon. We'll stay in contact with your Mom. If anything changes we can be back here in no time"

"Okay whatever" I reply sadly.

Haymitch goes off to talk to Gale and I go back to holding Peeta's hand. I take my other hand and stroke his cheek. I still feel this is some bad dream that I'll wake up from at any time. I sit up and kiss him gently on the lips. They feel warm and moist and something inside me cries out. God I want him back. I rest my forehead on our entwined hands and start to sob quietly.

Haymitch walks in to the room with Gale and Megan.

"You okay Katniss, we can go later if you want to spend more time here" says Haymitch

I stand up wiping my tears away " no let's go, I just want to get it over with"

I kiss Peeta on the cheek and walk from the room. Megan puts a comforting arm around my shoulder and walks me to the elevator.

We walk out onto the landing pad and look around in amazement. Hovercraft are lined up being loaded with supplies, crates of food, building materials and tools. I look around at Haymitch and he smiles back.

"What's happening?"

"It'll be easier to show you"

We walk over to the nearest hovercraft and Haymitch talks to the load master. Without a word we're waved onboard with the load master nodding to me as I walk by, I try to force a smile back.

We take our seats in the cargo area and settle down for the flight to 12. The hold's crammed full of crates of food and crops. We travel in silence. I'm not in the mood for talking, I don't even want to be here.