Chapter 31

I wake to the fowl smell of cat breath on my face. I slowly open my eyes to see buttercup curled up on my pillow next to me. I turn my head to see Peeta sleeping peacefully, his arm around my waist. I turn to lay on my back and he stirs but soon goes back to sleep. I lay there and replay the events of yesterday. What a beautiful day. I can't remember the last time I'd enjoyed myself so much. The wedding itself seemed such a small part of the day compared to the festivities afterward. I smile at the thought. The food, dancing, games the walk home and then the toasting. The thought of last night makes me look at Peeta. I love him so much.

I think I'll go down and start making breakfast, try to surprise him. I slip out of bed and buttercup jumps down giving a disapproving look for being disturbed. I look around for my robe and find it thrown on the floor. I frown. How did it get there? Actually, how did I get to bed? The last thing I remember was us cuddling in front of the fire. Peeta must of carried me to bed I think.

I put on my robe and tip toe down stairs. The lounge is unchanged from last night, only the last few embers from the fire give off smoke. The wine bottles empty. That explains my headache then.

I make my way into the kitchen fill and plug in the kettle and slice some bread.

Just then I hear the shrill sound of the phone ringing. I rush to answer before it wakes Peeta.

"Hello" I ask

Silence. I start to feel my skin crawl. It can't be Wolfe though, he must know that my phone's monitored.

"Hello" I ask again. this time more tersely.

I here someone gasp on the line, as if they're struggling to talk.

"Wh...who am I talking to?" Asks the voice. It's definitely not Wolfe. it sounds like a young girl.

"Your talking to Katniss Mellark, can I help you".

She gasps on the other end "oh my god it's you, it's really you!"

"Who is this?" I ask, starting to get angry.

"Please don't be angry Katniss, I had to talk to you, even if it's just this once. He doesn't know I've called you, see, it'll be our little secret"

"What's our little secret, from who. Who are you?"

"It's me Katniss, Elise Snow. Odin doesn't know that I've got your number, I stole it from his study. I'm so excited to talk to you I'm almost shaking"

I take the phone away from my ear and stare at it as if it's something completely alien to me. What do I say to her. I really don't know where to start.

I can hear her calling my name on the other end. I put the phone to my ear.

"What can I do for you" I ask

She starts to rant on "I just really wanted to talk to you, I hear your pregnant, and you've just got married to Peeta and that you're really happy and that..."

"Stop" I say interrupting her, she's clearly getting over excited.

"Listen Elise, I don't think you should be calling me, what if Odin finds out".

"Oh, I don't need to worry about him, he's gone out to district 1"

I suddenly realise that I've got an opportunity to use this girl as a source of information. She's naive that's for sure, but if I play this right and strike up some sort of friendship with her she may feed me something useful against the Uprising.

"Okay Elise, as long as you're in no danger, I wouldn't want you to get hurt" I say, trying to be as sincere as I can.

"Oh my god, you're actually worried about me!" she squeals down the line.