Chapter 20

Authors Note: Hi. This was the toughest Chapter to write and went through many drafts before I finally settled on it. Throughout the book I've managed to keep the intimacy between Katniss and Peeta covered by words and innuendo. But the story dictated that this would have to change to demonstrate the new problems Katniss was experiencing and that her PTSD issues can return in her most personal moments. I've tried to keep it brief (to one paragraph) and tried to show how relevant it is to the story. However, If your a young reader be aware that there is a sex scene in this chapter. Please give me some feedback on how I carried it. So far the books been a breeze but this one caught me out. Spending nearly 2 days on one chapter is painful!

Thanks

The elevator opens on the landing pad and I see a drop ship standing with its ramp lowered. Peeta takes my hand and leads me toward it.

"What's happening Peeta?"

"You'll see"

As we draw closer Haymitch and Plutarch walk down the ramp toward us.

"Haymitch!" I shout. I run over and embrace him.

"Nice job on the mission sweetheart, thanks for going. We owe you"

"And that's what we're doing today, giving something back for a change" says Plutarch

I pull away from Haymitch and look to Plutarch. He's got Buttercup in his arms. He reaches out and hands him to Peeta. "Plutarch, what's going on?"

"Your going home Katniss, for a break." I look at Peeta and he's just smiling at me, my face must be a picture. I don't know what makes me do it but I leap at Plutarch and put my arms around him. "Thank You"

He laughs and returns my embrace. "You're welcome"

"Listen, there's more we need from you but for now go home and relax, take a couple of weeks. If we need you I can have you back here in under and hour. We'll keep your quarters for you, it'll be like a second home" I give him a kiss on his cheek. "Thanks Plutarch" I say

"See, I'm not all bad!" he says laughing.

During the flight back I can't sit still. I'm anxious about whats happened to our house but I just can't wait to be home, in our own house.

"Kat, you need to realise there might be a few things different in 12 now"

"What do you mean Peeta?"

"Well there's about five hundred soldiers based there now in temporary barracks on the old slag heaps. The fence has been repaired although I've been told we can still go to the woods provided we have an escort. They don't want to take any chances of any more mutt attacks"

"Okay", I say sadly.

"Don't forget Kat, we're going home. Back to 12, to our house"

The drop ship touches down just before dusk. We walk down the ramp with Buttercup in my arms and Peeta carrying a hold all. A squad of soldiers are lined up along the edge of the victors green. The commander steps forward.

"Miss Everdeen, Mr Mellark, I'm Commander Lyndon Ross. I'll be commanding your security detail whilst you're here in District 12.

"Do we really need a security detail?" I ask.

"Its not worth taking the chance miss. Mr Heavensbee insisted that your house be monitored around the clock"

"Did the militants try to get into our house?"

"Yes, they got in but were only interested in kidnapping you. Nothing was touched except they planted some listening devices around the house. These we've removed.