Chapter 23

"I don't think so!" Ethan said, his tone harsh. I look at him, surprised. 

"Ah, relax little bro. She wants to box, let her box. She can take care of herself." Shane said. Ethan turned to him, glaring some more. 

"You are not boxing my girlfriend." Ethan grimaced. I walk over to him and give him a smile. 

"Ethan, Shane's right. I can take care of myself and you have no idea how much i used to fight. I haven't fought in so long. I need to let off some steam." I said. He didn't smile. 

"No." He said. I rolled my eyes. 

"Eth-"

"I said no." He murmured lowly, making his words final. He takes my hand. "Let's go." Without another word or a backward glance, he dragged me out of the gym. He was walking so fast i practically had to keep up with him. What the hell just happened?

"Ethan, slow down will you! Jeez." I said. 

We were by the gazebo and he stopped and turned to face me, his expression serious. 

"Look, i'm sorry if i'm....overacting or whatever. I'm not jealous," I give him a look and cross my arms over my chest. yeah okay. "Okay maybe i am. But that's beside the point." He shook his head and took a moment to think. When he spoke, his voice was low, maybe even angry? "I don't want you...boxing my brother." 

"Why? Are you doubting my mad skills to fight?" I joke. 

"I'm not laughing. I'm serious. I don't want you...fighting. At all." He murmured. 

Confusion hits me. Where is he going with this? "Why?"

He took my hand and led us in the gazebo. We sat down on the bench. He kept  a good grip on my hand but didn't look at me. Instead, he looked at our hands. "When you told me..what happened to you when you were younger...." He face scrunched up. "I can't...i can't bear it if someone else hurts you. I mean," He lets go of my hand and gets up, pacing back and forth. "It pisses me off, that he did that to you... and your mom, God! I can't believe she would just..abandon you like that. Ever since you told me about him i just," He clenches and unclenches his hands, still pacing. Where was all this coming from? One minute we're talking about boxing and now.... "I want to kill him for what he did." Ethan says angrily. I sigh heavily and run my fingers through my hair. 

This is why i didn't want to tell him...or anyone for that matter. I didn't want them waisting their time, worrying about the past. I was trying desperately to forget it. 

"Ethan," I say, shaking my head. "Its over. Its the past. Just...leave it alone." I said. I'm tired of dwelling on the past, like aunt Helen said. Its time consuming and a waste of energy. Ethan stops pacing and looks at me as if i suddenly had three heads and a tail. 

"Leave it alone? How can you even say that  Amelia? He beat the crap out of you....he raped you!" His voice getting louder. I shoot straight up. Anger rises in me as his words hits me, memories flood through me while the tears spring. 

"I know what he did!" I exclaim. He blinks at my sudden outburst. I sigh and put my face in my hands as i sit back down. My hands run over my face and over my hair, resting on my neck. I sit up straight but look down. "I don't want to remember Ethan." I whisper. "I just want want to forget." I whisper desperately, looking up at him. his face falls and he kneels in front of me, his hands on my knees.

"I'm sorry baby. I didn't mean....i just...it pains me to see you, so closed off sometimes...to know that no one was there to help you." He whispered, his hand caressing the side of my hair.