Chapter 16

I walked onto the sidewalk, the rain picked up. Great. Why didn't i bring a jacket? Oh yeah, because i'm stupid! I looked to the right and left, but saw no one, no cars passing by. I walked back up the driveway and then went to my left, walking to the side of the house. I slowly walked down the long path. The space between our house and the brick wall of my neighbors was small and i hated it. I felt the rain seep through my clothes., but i didn't care, i kept walking. I walked by my window, thankful that i have blinds. Then i walked by Mia's. It was closed and locked, as we always kept it. I looked behind me, as if i thought someone was there, but no one. I continued to the backyard. 

I stepped into our deserted backyard. We never come back here and the people that built this house made the back door connect to Aunt Helen's room, but we never go out this door, mostly because it was in her room. I checked to see if it was locked, and it was. Good. The rain started to fall harder and i looked around our backyard. The grass was tall and we had only a shack and a big tree back here. Nothing else. Its much spacier than it sounds. There was a dark corner where the tree stood and i couldn't see the bark. The sky was clouded and the rain didn't help any. I got a shaky feeling that someone was watching me but i saw no one. I made my way back as slowly as i came and when i got to the corner i looked back, just to make sure i wasn't being followed-weird i know-and i turned back and ran into someone. I screamed before i could stop myself.

"Oh my god!" I gasped, hand at my chest. 

Ethan was in front of me, hands on my arms. "Hey, i'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." He said softly. 

I hugged him tightly and then released him. Glad he was here. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked. 

"I was worried. I came straight over here when you hung up." "He sounded a little angry at that.

"I know i'm sorry-let's talk inside." I said, grabbing his hand and pulling him tot the house. 

We stepped in and i was soaked, more or less. I locked the door and glanced at Mia. She looked up and ran to me and i kneeled down, arms open. 

"Hey, i'm okay." I cooed, rubbing her back gently. I didn't want to get her wet too so i released her and stood upright. "Look i'm going to go change into something...less drenched." I looked at Ethan. 

"Can you stay with her?" I asked. He nodded. I smiled and thanked him. i walked to my room and quickly changed-drying myself with a towel- into new sweats and an old t-shirt. I changed my socks too. 

When i was done, i walked to Mia's room and double checked to see if it was locked. It was. I looked to my right and left to make sure no one or nothing was there. I closed her door and went to check Mya's room. I shut her window closed, wondering why in the hell would she leave it open. I put the locks down and then went to check Aunt Helen's window. It was shut and locked, thank god. 

I walked back into the living room and found Mia sitting on the couch watching TV and then found Ethan in the kitchen. He was stirring something in a cup, and i see the steam come up. He looks up and i give him a questioning look, as i sat down at the table. He sits across from me and hands me the cup. 

"I made you some tea. Thought you could use something warm, given your previous wardrobe." 

I smiled kindly at him. "Thanks." 

"So what happened?" He asked. 

I took a sip of my tea, oh it was delicious and soothing going down my throat. "Mia said there was a man at her window. That he was banging and telling her to open the window." 

"Did she see his face? I couldn't really hear you guys talking, the rain messed up our line." He said, frowning.

I looked down into my cup. "She said he had an earring in his ear, hair like yours, but darker, Said he was mean looking." I said in a quiet voice.