four |

[i recommend listening to
'clouds' by 'TRACES']
—play on repeat—

four - teardrop

h u n t e r

the room with all of our attention, stands slightly intimidating in front of us.

"kai, you going in or what?" river bites.

"i'm going, i'm going" he says nodding his head rapidly, before stepping out of the elevator.

"stop being such an ass" i say shaking my head and rolling my eyes.

"stop with this commentary bullshit" river says crossing his arms, gripping his bicep and leaning against the mirrored wall.

"stop thinking you're this almighty guy, because i swear to god–" i begin to speak, refusing to make eye contact, when kai sticks his head round the side.

"there's no one here" he says confused.

"what do you mean there's no one here?" river asks, pushing himself off the wall.

"exactly what it sounds like" he says, his eyebrows narrowing sharply as if river were stupid.

"well, i say we head into that office and collect as much information as possible" i say.

"i'd like to see you walk straight out there" river obviously says, making me even more keen to do it.

"okay" i reply simply, before confidently walking into the main area.

just as kai said, there was in fact no one in sight. i continue to walk through the oddly quiet building, until i stand face to face with the large glass double doors—clearly leading to his main office.

pushing them open gently, i feel the eery quietness come over me.

completely on edge, the sound of foot steps makes me very anxious. i pause subconsciously, trying not to make any noise, until i turn to see it's only river and kai.

"holy shit, you scared me" i say taking a large breath in.

"i can tell" river says monotonously, not caring to even fake a laugh.

i mutter a simple 'whatever' under my breath before i continue further into the room.

filing cabinets, upon filing cabinets i'm honestly contemplating knocking them all down. this is all driving me insane. we do not work with other people, let alone assholes like river, not to mention the fact it was finally going to be our time to leave—be done with this life.
but no, here we are, wrapped around alex and marcus' wealthy little fingers.

"is everything okay?" kai asks closing a drawer and walking over to me.

"yeah, everything's fine" i say forcing a smile.

he just nods in return whilst searching through a nearby file.

seeming the cabinet i was looking in was useless, I pause for a moment; looking out to the large windows.

it's beautiful out there—peaceful.

every individual light seems to represent a different person's day. and i'm just stood here, watching them flicker on then off.

my thoughts being interrupted, river comes and stands next to me. i expect a side comment telling me to get on, but he watches out the windows, just silently standing next to me as he looks out beyond and to the city.

both standing in complete quiet, it's actually pleasant. still no bite or sarcastic remark is made which is surprising, but relieving.

the city has always made me question a lot.
or aloud me to have a clear mind.

driving through the city has always been my getaway considering i can't actually get away. i can't just leave, pack my things and head off; no matter how badly i've wanted to in the past. although things got bad, i had to hide how i felt to protect the people around me, i guess i was unaware of the damage i was inflicting onto myself at the time.

i was too caught up in the present to worry about the future, which of course has come round to taunt me.

breaking me slowly, as i suppress any emotion i feel might try and escape on its on.

unintentionally, a tear slips from my eye without even realising it. as quick as i possibly can, i pull my sleeve up my hand in a slick motion, before swiping it under my eye. collecting the loose teardrop, i let the slightly damped material fall back to my wrist and then hang back by my side.

'you ight?" river's head swivels as he asks me such a question, catching me off guard.

"yeah, fine" my lips form a rather straight smile, glancing over at him, before i look back out at the inky black sky.

he just nods and bites the inside of his mouth slightly—possibly about to speak but i don't think much of it.

<3