16

Just as I let go of my legs, holding Luke back, I heard my door pushed open.

"Vanessa- baby, what happened?" Mom spoke frantically.

"Just an anxiety attack" Luke spoke for me, his hand stroking my hair gently.

"What triggered it?" My mom asked, and as if Luke and I were thinking the same thing, we both shot a look to her, Luke never letting me go.

"I don't know- maybe the ten men she's never met standing downstairs" he spoke sarcastically.

I put my face into his neck, closing my eyes, feeling as if I could take a bomb ass nap.

"Baby, we have to overcome this fear eventually-" "stop Cathy- come on" Luke almost whined out

"This isn't just a fear- this is something she's been through, it's a trust issue, and there's a right and a wrong way to help her through this, and this isn't the right way, this only intimidates her more." Luke spoke calmly, the vibrations in his chest and neck more calming than anything in this house.

"So you're defending her?"

"What the fuck Cathy, I'm not defending her- this isn't a situation of who's wrong, who's right this is addressing a problem and talking it out as a family-" I could feel Luke tensing, making me open my eyes into him.

"Luke I'm her mother, I've read the reviews, I know how to handle this fucking situation." Mom spat out, making me tense even more.

"You know how to handle the fucking situation? Then how come she's never had any fucking physical help, no therapist, no one to talk to professionally-" Luke was raising his voice, which made me slowly sit up, starting to slowly get out of his grip.

"The way I take care of my child is none of your concern!" Mom now yelled.

"None of my concern? Before we even started dating you wanted me to handle it- you wanted me to be completely in charge of every piece of help she fucking gets!" I got out of Luke's grip as he yelled.

"And how have you helped us Luke!" She yelled.

"Did you not just see her letting me hold her before you started a fucking argument over nothing-" "both of you, stop." Calum's voice spoke calmly from the door.

"First off, Luke- why the hell would you yell and continue an argument in front of her? She just had a fucking anxiety attack, don't you think that's enough?" Calum spoke calmly, moving to me and extending his hand, helping me to my feet.

"And both of you- it's fucking thanksgiving, she shouldn't be watching this and you shouldn't even be doing this, we're leaving until you two can get your shit together." Calum spoke with no other word, leading me out by holding my hand into his own, sighing lightly as we walked into the living room full of people.

"Vanessa and I are running to her some cranberry sauce- can't forget the best part" he laughed out.

"Luke and Cathy should be down in no time- they're just being the normal love birds." He dismissed quickly, shutting the door before anyone could say a word.

"Where we going, pretty girl?" Calum smiled to me once he pulled out of the driveway.

"I think all the stores would be closed" I spoke, referring to the mention of cranberry sauce.

"Yeah- that probably wasn't the smartest excuse in the world" he laughed out, smiling to me as he drove.

"What do you wanna do?" I asked

"I'm going to take you to the best ice cream in the world."

We sat on the floor behind his desk at the hospital- eating surprisingly good ice cream.

"Is this what a family thanksgiving is like?" I laughed out.

He smiled as he looked to me.

"No, not really" he laughed lightly

"I think this is much better."