Leaving

A wave of loneliness hit me as I walked out of the pack territory. I fought to keep back the tears but as much as tried, it was impossible. I kept thinking of Jace and the twins. My babies would never see me again. Would they even remember their mother? Tears spilled down my cheeks because I knew that they would never remember me. They have only been alive two, almost three days; they won’t even know who I am when they grow up. I wonder what Jace will tell them. Would he tell them I died? Or that they didn’t have a mother? Would he tell them the truth, how I sacrificed myself to save them?

            My head started to spin and my stomach was filled with butterflies. I was literally making myself sick thinking about this. I ignored the sick feeling and continued on, knowing it would take me a few hours to get to the cabin on foot. I didn’t want to shift because I wouldn’t have any clothes and it would be easier to track me in wolf form. The cool night air caused me to shiver. I should have grabbed a jacket or some other clothing than the shorts and short sleeve shirt I had on now. I didn’t want to risk waking Jace up though.

            It was nearly one in the morning and my body was reacting to it. I let out a yawn, tiredness overtaking my body. I hadn’t slept at all tonight and it was taking a toll on my body. I ignored the screaming of my legs as I walked on. Ten miles was awfully far of a walk at one in the morning. The only thing I could do was pray that Jace didn’t wake up in the middle of the night and find me gone.

            After forcing my family out of my mind, I began to think of Dillon. What would happen when he came for me? What would he do to me? The possibilities were endless. I knew that he would hurt me if he had too. Where did the Dillon I once knew go? Maybe I could try and reason with that side of him? I could try and find that old Dillon. I needed a plan before I got to the cabin. 

            There was a possibility of rogues wandering the unclaimed territory and if I did come in cross with one, they’d know just by my scent that I was Jace’s mate and rogues hated alphas. Hurting me would be hurting Jace and that’s what rogues wanted. It was scary to think that I used to be one.

            I continued walking for what seemed like forever. The endless tree scenery was getting old by now. I’d walked at least five miles or before, my knees got weak and I stumbled to the ground. I groaned, my body not wanting to go on. It had been a long night and I was exhausted. If I feel asleep, then Jace could wake up before me and find me here before I even got to Dillon. Maybe just sitting for a few minutes would make me feel better.

            I leaned up against a tree, my legs loving the rest they were getting. My wolf whined to be let out, but I refused. The idea of getting up, let alone running, seemed terrible. After about ten minutes of resting, I finally forced myself to get up. Have you ever been so exhausted that you want to cry because of how weak and tired you are? Well that happened to me, I broke down into tears. I think it was a mixture of exhaustion and the thought of leaving that made me break down.

            I wiped away the tears as I started to walk towards the cabin. The thing that kept me going was that I was protecting my family this way. I had to keep telling myself that I loved Jace and the twins. This was all to protect them from Dillon.

            After hours of walking, the soreness of my legs screaming for another break, I finally saw the cabin in the distance. I sighed, thankful that the cabin was finally here. I’d made it. I looked around for cameras like he said there would be, but saw none. The lights to the cabin were off, but that didn’t mean that he wasn’t there. The cabin looked completely normal and well taken care of. Part of me expected a dirty, rundown cabin, but I guess Dillon knows how to clean. It reminded me of the small cabin that he lived in back in Cadellan.