2.23: sephine

I felt terrible that Hayes's meetings were interrupted yesterday thanks to the small crisis, so I decided that I was going to make him dinner. But then I was reminded that I'm a terrible cook after I tried boiling noodles, and then the water over-boiled burning to the glass burners creating this horrible smell.

I never learned how to cook after having limited meal plans for the last seven years. Still, I can't keep scraping by making a peanut butter and jelly for lunch or ordering out because it's starting to affect me, and it's not an appreciated one.

So I'm apologizing for two things with this meal. For making his life a shit fest since I got back in it, and for making his kitchen an even bigger shit fest. From the times he's been home to cook me meals, I would say he's going to kill me for the mess.

There's no way he's going to eat anything I've made because there's nothing to eat thanks to the way I've somehow managed to burn water, which I didn't realize was possible, I also burned the rolls. I have his favorite Thai place delivering sometime within the next thirty minutes.

My phone that I found this morning rings next to me on the counter, "Hello?"

"Hey, are you busy right now?" I almost drop the phone in surprise because I didn't expect to have it be Tessa on the other side. I expected it to be like Grayson or Ollie since Hayes wouldn't call right before he gets home. I've found out that he hates his phone, but I think I hate it more because nearly every time it rings, he has to leave.

I glance around the horribly messy kitchen, "Uh, not really, why?" We've texted a little bit since the lunch, mostly just small talk.

I can hear the faint sound of cars honking in the background, "So the agency I'm here for this week got the dates wrong for the hotel, and I don't have anywhere to stay until tomorrow night. I know this is a huge ask, but could I possibly crash at yours?"

Well, shit.

"I'll send you the address."

The sigh of relief she lets out tells me that I did a good thing, "Thank you so much. I'll stay out of your guys' hair completely."

"No problem, see you soon."

"See you soon."

Well, shit.

Hayes might have three things to kill me for now.

It takes her maybe ten minutes to get here, and I spent the entire time watching the clock, not sure who was going to show up first. Tessa, the Thai food, or Hayes.

But then it's buzzed up that there's a woman here looking for me and I know that Tessa got here first.

I'm genuinely surprised that all she has with her is a carry on bag, but I'm not one to question someone else's travel necessities. The jet lag is definite on Tessa's face, but she doesn't hesitate before pulling me into a hug for the first time since before Ethan's death.

"Thank you so much; you have no idea what this means to me."

I hug her back out of shock because I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do. "I'll show you your room for the night, and you can tell me about it?"

The smile on her makeup barren face is grateful as she nods. "Yeah, that sounds good."

So I lead her to my bedroom that I hadn't slept in since the night of the gala, so my dress is still hanging up on the back of the bathroom door. The room is clean, thanks to Hayes's housekeeper.

"That is a beautiful dress." She comments, running her hand through the tulle of the skirt, and I nod, agreeing with her.

"It's my favorite of the ones I've gotten to wear." I smile faintly, remembering the swish of the dress when Hayes and I were dancing. "So, how did they mess up your hotel?"