1.21: sephine

"Thanks for picking me up, it's too cold to drive." The cold has seeped straight to my bones, and I can't stop shivering.

Cam's jaw drops, "But I'm driving."

I hold the steaming cup of coffee up to my face so that the warmth radiating from the cup might stand a chance at keeping my face somewhat thawed, unlike the rest of me that feels like a popsicle. Especially my bare legs. "So? Aren't you supposed to be all tough cause you're a guy?"

"That's sexist." He points out, and I shrug his comment off even though it was a sexist for me to say.

"How was your lunch with Liv?" I ask, holding the opening of the coffee cup close to my nose so that the caffeine has the chance to reach my brain and kick it into a functioning mode.

"My what?" His eyebrows are furrowed in confusion as he messes with the heat controls.

Cam isn't the only one confused right now though, "You left my house on New Years to go get lunch with Liv?"

Realization covers his face, "Yeah, shoot, I forgot about that. It was fun."

What's going on with him?

"Are you okay?" I ask hesitantly, and he nods but is distracted by something else.

"Yeah, I just didn't get a lot of sleep last night."

I contemplate poking him, but that means removing my hands from the warm coffee cup, and I'm not quite sure I'm willing to do that. "Maybe I should have driven then."

Cam chuckles softly, "I would gladly pull over and switch places with you if it meant that I got to keep my hands from shaking by holding onto a hot cup of coffee. Why are you wearing a skirt anyways, it's like negative two degrees?"

My legs are bouncing violently to retain some of the warmth that was stolen from them from the walk out my front door to Cam's car. "Some idiot old person made the dress code, or I guarantee that I wouldn't be wearing this."

"I'd definitely ditch the tie if that was an option."

"Oh, cry me a river. At least your legs aren't getting frostbitten."

Cam is finding my predicament very amusing, "Seph, it's not even that cold in my car; it's been running for at least fifteen minutes."

"It's not by any means warm!" I snort, looking out the window as he pulls into the parking lot.

I set my coffee on top of the car, feeling the immediate loss of source for heat on my hands while I grab my backpack before shutting the car door. Except I forgot to take into account that the shutting of the car door would knock my coffee cup to the ground.

I see it happen in slow motion as the paper carton breaks open, and the liquid splatters the frozen concrete ground and the tops of my feet that are left bare from the heels I'm wearing.

I'm frozen in place, half due to the fact it's cold as hell and the other half from the horror of seeing my life support spill. Cam is laughing at the horrified look on my face, but I'm just trying to think of a way to pick myself up after this.

"Seph, I know it sucks you dropped your coffee, but we gotta go inside before we're late," Cam shrugs, and I force my feet to step over the espresso colored puddle next to my car door.

It feels as if I'm walking through a haze and not because it's the first day back at school. I haven't seen or heard from Hayes since he left on New Years, and I'm not sure what to even say to him when I see him at some point today. Plus, dropping my coffee has ruined the entire day for me.