1.05: sephine

I couldn't say I was surprised when Hayes sat with us at lunch again the next day or the next. It was quite amusing watching him try to think before saying something which seemed very unlike him, but it was nice that he tried. It didn't take more than a week for him to fit in as if he'd been sitting there all year. I still haven't quite figured out what to think of him.

He was a pretty boy, and he certainly knew it had an effect on people. Still, it didn't take much effort to dismiss his attempts at teasing flirting as anything more than playful banter. Hayes is a nice enough guy if you can get past the whole sleeping with any girl that can walk, and it was rather easy to see the appeal about him, but it didn't change anything.

He had just said something incredibly stupid, and I look up from my book that I wasn't really reading anyway, to stare at him in shock. Cam is cracking up, and even Liv is chuckling, whereas Hayes's cheeks flush, and I realize it's the first time I've seen him embarrassed of any kind.

"Don't encourage him," I scold Cam throwing a baby carrot hitting him in the shirt.

Cam's jaw drops, "It's not my fault he's an idiot. I can't believe you aren't laughing at him either!"

"It would be like laughing at a baby monkey; they don't have enough experience to know any better," I tease, and Hayes raises an eyebrow.

"I have plenty of experience, I'd be more than happy to show you." There's a twinkle of amusement apparent in his eyes, and I see it as a small form of a challenge.

"Okay," I wink playfully, and he's taken aback clearly, not expecting that to be my response.

"Wait-no, I don't agree with that, Seph take it back." Cam shakes his head at me in surprise while Liv offers me a high five over the table.

"Master, please teach me your ways of getting Hayes to shut up."

She's right, Hayes has finally stopped talking. Instead, he's peering at me curiously, and I toss a baby carrot at him too. "What was that for?" He questions, holding the baby carrot between his thumb and index finger.

I shrug, "I wouldn't want you to get crease lines from thinking too hard."

"Seph, are you actually going to eat any of these carrots, or are you just going to throw them at us?" Cam asks with an exaggerated sigh, and Liv leans over to steal one from the container before throwing it at Cam.

She grins widely, "I think throwing them is the best option. It's more fun."

I nod, agreeing with her before looking back down at my book.

"Er-hi, I don't mean to interrupt, but can I talk to you, Hayes?" Piper, a junior, asks her arms carefully folded over her chest.

I look at her curiously, trying to piece together the situation as Hayes smiles tightly before getting up.

"Latest conquest?" I ask only after he's out of earshot.

Cam shrugs, taking a bite out of the carrot that Liv had thrown at him, "You'll have to ask him."

I don't really care that much, I just know that she's a nice girl. I'd hate for her to get involved with him.

Liv changes conversation, "Are you guys busy after school?"

"Yeah, I've got a last-minute rehearsal for the partner routine, and for my solo otherwise, I would be free." I'm kind of glad I have a rehearsal because Liv has the same look in her eyes that she gets when she thinks a shopping trip is a necessity.

"They gave us the day off, Coach has an appointment or something."

Her face lights up; yeah, it's definitely shopping. "At least one of you is free, although I'm not sure which one would complain more. I need a new dress for this event my dad has coming up so lucky you Cam, because now I've saved you from a pitiful afternoon with Hayes."