1.15: sephine

I didn't fail my final, which means I kept my A, but I hung on by the thinnest of threads with an eighty-nine point seven percent. I realized after pulling my head out of my ass that I'd fucked up with Hayes when he was only asking for me to uphold my end of the deal, but I was still avoiding him like the plague. I didn't quite know if he would even care to hear my apologies, especially since I could never fully explain the reason, so it was easier to avoid him.

My pride that kept me from going back into the library the other day is now the same reason I'm pulling on a dress that I never got the chance to wear in Seattle. I knew Hayes would like it because it reminded me of the conversation we had a month and a half ago, where he told me that I dressed innocently. This dress is everything but innocent.

I'm giving myself a night to feel okay. To not feel the past of what happened with Ethan looming over me. I'm giving myself a night to feel free and have fun.

However, I hadn't expected to see Tessa to be standing with Cam and Hayes. When I hear Tessa ask where I am, it was the perfect opportunity to make my appearance as the me that's not going to fall apart. "I'm right here, sorry I was late babe. Ollie couldn't find his shoes." I lean up to tease Hayes by lightly pressing my lips against his for a brief moment before my face forms into a smirk at Tessa.

My arm wraps around Hayes's back possessively, and his arm rests similarly across mine, and my smirk turns triumphant.

Except I don't expect Ollie to be what she asks about, "Ollie's here?" Her thoughts are guarded well on her face, and her eyes drift to where he now stands in between Cam and me.

"Here and in the flesh, but you, however, have no business being over here. Go bother someone that cares." Some part of me thinks that Tessa doesn't deserve all this hate, but then the sane part of me remembers that everything happened because of her.

"Guess you're still her bitch," Her eyes hold a spark of amusement as she keeps her facial expressions clear. I lunge forward to throw myself at Tessa, but Hayes grips me tightly, already predicting my reaction. I know exactly what she's doing, but not Ollie.

Hayes doesn't let go for a second, and I'm glad because I'd probably be hauled out of here in cuffs and the newest scandal to rock Hermon. "Tess, just go; you have no business over here." My eyes snap to meet his, but his blue gaze doesn't waver from Tessa's.

I don't even think twice before allowing the words out of my mouth, and I want her to know how much I loathe her, "Guess you're still a bitch."

She breaks the gaze first, and I can see her weighing the options in front of her. "Looks like the new you didn't last very long. Old habits die hard I guess," There's a hidden meaning to that second sentence that only Ollie and I understand, but I simply shake it off and ignore her last jab at me. The moment she's gone, I feel the weight on my shoulders lift just enough to keep me from crushing under them, and I allow myself to relax against Hayes and have fun like I'd planned.

The simple black suit he was wearing made the starkness of his blue eyes stand out against the darkness of his hair. To put it in simple words: he looked good.

Ollie takes a second to briefly apologize for being late, but I think I was right on time. "It was my fault that we're late, I had to find the nice shoes I brought just in case Sephy didn't tell me about all the activities we'd be doing. Except I forgot which bag I put them in." His grin is sheepish, and I want to facepalm at his use of my old nickname.

Maybe I can distract Hayes enough to hope he didn't pick up directly on it. "Where's Liv?"

Cam is twirling a flute of champagne and answers my question, "I'm not sure. I think her dad wants her with him so she can meet some of the investors." Ollie launches into a new volley of questions after introducing himself to Cam, some he hadn't even bothered asking me.