2.01: sephine

"I keep thinking that variation is going to get easier each time we perform it, but it's still kicking my ass after a week," Ollie groans shouldering his dance bag over his shoulder.

I laugh lightly, looking at him through the mirror as I run a brush through my hair, "At least we have a night off tomorrow?"

"Do we really though? We're supposed to go with Sascha to that fundraiser tomorrow." Ollie rolls his eyes. It's not very often that we get a night off, and even rarer when it's in New York.

"So we have to go and kiss the donors' asses for a few hours, you can still spend all day with Ryan."

He plops down into the chair next to me, "Sometimes, I really hate having a duet with you."

I grab the makeup removing wipes and start to carefully take the excessive makeup required for the performance off without irritating my skin. "Oh, don't even try telling me that you hate it, considering you were the one that signed us up for the audition anyway."

"Well, I didn't expect us to get it! I was hoping to spend tomorrow night with Ryan before we travel to Texas." Ollie started dating Ryan our second year at the American Ballet Company before we were promoted to principal dancers. They've been together for four years now, and I'm jealous of how they've stayed together that long, but I'd never let Ollie know that.

I had a few relationships since high school, the longest one lasting seven months, but we came to a mutual agreement that we shouldn't be together anymore because it was just too hard with all the traveling I was doing. Somehow Ollie and Ryan made it work.

"Too bad, if I have to go, then you have to go," I cheekily smile at him.

Ollie waits for me just like he does every night so he can walk me out to my car only in case I get mugged. It's sweet, but I already have mace attached to my keys just in case anything were to happen. However, tonight we get stopped by Sascha, the artistic director of the company, on our way out.

He's a cruel man, and I'm taken aback when he smiles brightly at us. It takes me a moment to realize this is something he only does when investors and donors are around, and I immediately smile, trying not to let how tired I am slip through. "I'm sure you already saw their performance, but these are two of our principal dancers and our lead soloists from tonight's performance."

My gaze moves towards the man that Sascha is gesturing to, and I feel as if the air in my lungs has been knocked out. His blue eyes are glittering with amusement, and even Ollie has fallen quiet from his complaining about tomorrow night. His dark hair is neater than it once was, his face is more prominent and matured, but my eyes get stuck on the full lips I used to know like the back of my hand. Seven years has been good to him.

"Mr. Benson? Did you hear what I said?" Sascha repeats, and I blink coming to my senses, feeling my cheeks flush when Hayes quirks his mouth into the old familiar smirk.

"I'm sorry, but may I have a moment with Ms. Montgomery?" His voice is velvet smooth, and I involuntarily flinch.

Ollie's hand rests on my shoulder as Sascha looks at me in confusion. "I'm afraid that Ms. Montgomery and Mr. Grant are on their way out, but they both will be at the fundraiser tomorrow if you wish to speak to them there."

If Hayes is at all phased by Sascha making him wait to talk to me, he doesn't show it. Instead, he re-buttons the front of his black suit that matches the darkness of his hair following after Sascha as he talks a mile a minute quickly explaining the company, and is undoubtedly boring Hayes out of his mind.

"What is he doing here?" Ollie questions and I struggle to regain my breath so I can speak.

I glance over my shoulder, catching the back of his head before he turns down a hallway, "I'm not sure."