2.14: sephine

The dress I'm currently standing in might be one of my favorite ones I've gotten to wear. It's a pale pink tulle evening ball gown with small embellishments and a plunging neckline with three-quarter sleeves. It's the perfect dress to play the part of Hayes's soon to be fiancé.

My hand felt lighter since I'd taken the ring off to keep the surprise for tomorrow, but it didn't help make me any less confused. Kissing Hayes brought confusion, but it doesn't make sense because it wasn't the first time we've kissed since the whole engagement thing started. It was the first one that felt different.

However, it didn't matter because it looked all the same when the pictures appeared in the tabloids this morning. Thankfully, Hayes's hand covered his mother's ring that graced my finger the past few weeks until about three hours ago before we left the penthouse for this gala.

"I'm not sure if I'm by your side or if you're by my side," Hayes whispers, making me giggle. But it causes the politician we're with to stop talking and stare at us curiously.

"I'm sorry, I just remembered this video that my sister sent me about my nephew." It's the first thing I think of because I remember touching up on my who's who before today, and Senator Davis is known for his charity work with cystic fibrosis because of his grandchild that suffers from the disease.

His face softens, "My daughter sent me a video of my granddaughter playing with baby ducks earlier today."

"Oh, really? My nephew was caught red-handed coloring on the walls in crayon."

Senator Davis smiles kindly, "That is the absolute worst, but make sure to tell your sister that using baking soda is the best way to get those marks off the walls. Certainly helped me when I had Elizabeth stay with me over the summer, and I forgot to keep the crayons out of reach."

"I'll make sure to let her know. She was completely frazzled about it, so I'm sure she'll appreciate it," I keep my arm looped around Hayes as the older man chuckles.

"Mr. Benson, you'll be wise to not let this young woman out of your sight. You've got quite the catch right here. Maybe you two will have your own children someday soon," Senator Davis winks.

My cheeks flush as he says this, but they burn when Hayes agrees with him. "Yeah, I don't quite plan on letting her get away."

The exchange a little more pleasant talk before Senator Davis has moved onto other people, and I look at him curiously, "I hope you're not planning on kidnapping or murdering me?"

His eyes are bright with amusement, and I can't help but smile also. "You're quite the comedian."

"And you never answered the question." I point out, and he rolls his eyes.

"You don't have a sister, so we're even." He snorts back, "Do you want a water? I think I saw one of our investors at the bar and-"

I untangle my arm from his, "Go on, if you remember by the time you get back, I'll take you up on your offer to get me water."

Hayes hesitates, "But I don't want to-"

"Seriously, Benson, I'm fine. I've gone to enough of these with my mom's career and through charming investors for the company that I'll be just fine." To seal the deal, I press a kiss to his mouth in a fleeting manner, "There might be more of that waiting for you when you get back, so don't stay away too long."

The fact that we're in a room filled with people who latch on everything said is the only reason I say it, but maybe it's not. I guess I'm genuinely unsure, but it's enough to get him to smile and leave my side with a quick wink.

I turn around, and it feels as if the air is knocked out of me almost literally as I bump into someone. "I'm so sorry. Please excuse me." I apologize setting my feet, so I don't teeter over in my heels before I glance up to see who I ran into only to find out that it's Ezra.