(20) The Past And Future

(A/N: This song has no relation to the chappy whatsoever :) But I like it! And I'm proud to say that Florence and the Machine went to MY SCHOOL xD Anyhoo... enjoy! A/N)

Chapter 20

“How does macaroni cheese sound for dinner?” Matt asked casually, as I sat in the kitchen finishing up the last of my Biology. It was pretty hard; every time I started to concentrate, Daniel’s face would drift into my mind like a leaf in the breeze, and I’d have to re-read the sentence I’d just written.

“Fine,” I said automatically.

“Good, cause there isn’t much choice.” Matt rifled around the cupboards and fridge, before drawing back to the table to scrawl an answer in his text book. “Mom called earlier.”

Oh, joy. Excuse me for not skipping round the room like a five year old. “Good for her.”

Matt rolled his eyes at my tone. “She says I need to make sure you do some chores.”

I stared at him in horror. “No way.”

Matt smirked. “From now on, you’re on laundry duty.”

I scowled at him fiercely. “That is so unfair.” He knew I hated laundry. It wasn’t like I didn’t do my fair share of chores; I made my bed every morning, kept my room clean (mostly) and washed my plates after I’d eaten.

“And you can do some of the hoovering, too,” Matt continued. My glare became hotter than the fiery pits of hell. He just laughed. “Fair is fair, Lexis.”

We sat down for dinner half an hour later. The mac n’ cheese was good, but probably would’ve tasted better if we didn’t have it every other night.

“I haven’t seen you in ages,” Matt commented. “Where’ve you been?”

“Just hanging out with friends.” I shrugged, and spooned a forkful of gooey cheese into my mouth so he wouldn’t ask more questions. I saw his mouth curve into a smile of satisfaction.

“Oh yeah? Which friends?”

So much for that notion. I swallowed my mouthful. “Uh... Rose and Daniel Black, I guess.”

Matt blinked in surprise. “Oh.” His voice suddenly darkened ominously. “Oh.”

I looked at him pleadingly. “Please don’t have a go at me. They’re my friends.”

Matt locked his jaw, obviously wondering whether to tell me off or say nothing. He went with the first option, unfortunately.

“I told you, I don’t want you hanging around them.”

I was sorely tempted to say “Well, I don’t want to hang around with you,” but chances were that would get me nowhere. “You can’t tell me what to do.”