(47) Wish You Were Here

Chapter 47

My head pounded groggily. I couldn’t remember what I’d done to give myself such a splitting headache. With a small groan, I lifted my head off the ground, opening my eyes a crack – and saw nothing but dull grey waves. Surprise spiked me, and I sat up sharply, causing my head to whirl.

My sudden movement led to a soft clink of metal, and something tugged at my wrist as I tried to sit up straighter. A manacle, chaining me to the trunk of a nearby tree.

At once, everything came rushing back – the rain, Jason, his choke hold on my throat – and panic fluttered through me like a large moth.

Daniel. My mind reached out to him instinctively. Daniel, are you alri-

Oh, I don’t think so, missy.

An entirely different yet completely familiar voice cut through my thoughts, and I jumped.

That’s right, bitch. I figured out yours and Daniel’s little communication system.

“Jason, why don’t you just come and talk to me in person like a man?” I said out loud. I shook my manacles, gazing around at my surroundings. “Where are you? What’s all this for?”

“You mean you hadn’t worked it out yet?”

I whirled around. Behind me, Jason came striding out of the trees, a small smile on his cold face. A harsh breeze whipped at his hair, and though I could feel the dampness of the ground through my jeans, the rain had stopped. I patted my pockets, searching for my knife, or my phone, or any kind of possible weapon – of course, all my pockets had been emptied. Jason had made sure of that.

“Don’t fuck with me, Jason,” I said furiously. “I’m not in the mood.”

Jason chuckled softly and crouched in front of me. I scooted a few inches away from him, glaring.

“I thought I’d take you to the Initiation Island. Quite ironic, given the circumstances. And no one would think to look for you here.” He smiled his creepy smile. “At least, not until it’s too late.”

I felt icy coldness trickle down my spine. “You’re going to kill me.”

“Of course I am, little Nighthunter. It would only be right.” He chuckled and reached to brush a strand of hair away from my face. I recoiled before he could touch me. “All this time, you were the only cure for my cousin, the only tether that would keep him in the light. Not just because you were the only one who could stab him to save his soul, but because your very presence was what kept him going.” He pushed himself to his feet and paced towards the trees.

“You thought I had some magical way of making sure he would Change, didn’t you? But that was never it. The answer was just to take you out of the picture. Once Daniel has lost all hope – which he will shortly, after he hears about your unfortunate death – there is nothing in this world that can stop him from Changing.”

Daniel, I tried to call out again, but Jason laughed.

“That’s not going to work, Alexis. Not this time.”

“Daniel doesn’t want this,” I cried. “He doesn’t want to Change.”

“Neither did I. But it’s not a curse – it’s a blessing.” Jason smiled maniacally.

“He’ll kill himself,” I said viciously. “He’ll kill himself before he ever ends up like you.”

“When he ends up like me, he’ll thank me for it. And in the end, you will too. Because you know what happened to Alexis Cooper.”