Chapter 8

Luke

My brows furrowed as I watched Jaynah's face. She may have tried to sound casual, but her gut was churning with an inner conflict that was transmitting itself along the bond. I couldn't tell what it was about, but I could feel the tangle of emotions it was causing. She glanced at me and it the brief seconds before she looked away again, I could see the battle going on in her eyes. I thought I knew what her answer would be, but I had to ask. "What do you mean?"

She shrugged and took a sip of her drink. "We all have secrets Luke."

I didn't miss her meaning. "So what do you have against Kelly?"

She shook her head. "I told Kelly that I would keep her secrets. I won't break that promise."

As I thought, she wouldn't say anything. My eyes flicked to Kelly. I wondered what she was thinking. I stifled a groan as I looked from her to Jaynah. Both women were more alike than they cared to admit. They were both as stubborn as hell and if they chose not to talk about something, there was no way of making them. The Fates had to be laughing their asses off right now. Putting two such strong-willed and powerful women in my life had to be a cosmic joke.

Make that three strong-willed and powerful women. Even though she was only six, Tami was already showing the same strength of will that had made her mother the most powerful druid in the country. I still needed to talk with Catherine about starting her training in the druidic arts, but I had another reason to talk to her tonight. I returned to my original seat and smiled at Kelly. "Aunt Cath, are you free for an hour later? Something's bothering me and I could use your help."

Her eyes took on a serious turn as she glanced from Kelly to Tami.. The small frown creasing her brow told me she was trying to work out what I would want to ask her about. "How about I come by around nine? That way you have time to relax after Tami goes to bed."

"Sounds good."

Tami ran over and put her arms around my neck. She had finished her meal and run over to join Julian and his friends at their table. I lifted her on to my lap and she rested her head on my shoulder. "Are you getting tired Tami?"

"A little Daddy."

"Have you had enough to eat?" She nodded and gave me a tired smile. "I'm almost finished myself. We'll go back to our apartment in a few minutes. Would you like me to tell you more about the Mohiri before bed, or would you like Grandpa to read to you again?"

"Can you tell me stories about the Mohiri Daddy?"

I finished the remains of my meal and carried her back to my rooms. After I had gotten settled on the lounge, with her still in my arms, I stroked her hair while she rested her head on my chest. "So is there anything you would like me to tell you about the Mohiri?"

"Mummy said you hunt vam-, vamp- bad men?"

I hid the smile at what she had told me. Serena had to have known Tami would have to find my people one day and done what she could to prepare her daughter for that day. "Vampires. Yes we do. Sometimes we hunt other things, but most of the time it's vampires."

"Why?"

"To protect humans. It's why we exist."

"Can't humans do it?"

"No, they can't."

"Why not?" Her head tilted so she could look up at my face. I could see the confusion and curiosity in her eyes.