POC

Don't worry, this will be short and sweetish

(How I feel when people get things wrong about this topic)

Over the past few years Marvel has begun churning out POC comic-book characters and that is AMAZING! The MCU of course has some catching up to do, but they are slowly getting there with Black Panther and....stuff that is probably going to come soon. 

Now, I've noticed a ton of fan-fiction which is slowly casting POC's as their main character. Now I am not grouping everyone here together, but you have to understand that just casting a POC doesn't really make a difference. It's the whole token Black/Hispanic/Asian thing going on. 

If you want to have a POC as the character, add stuff in that gives that race meaning. If they're black, research some slang and common sayings that they use (depending on where that OC lives of course). Add heritage, posters, role-models, food. And do your research, don't just throw the most popular food or person and say 'I'm done.' (Lookin' at you Coco)

You cannot and I repeat cannot have a POC character for the sake of a POC character. And also, don't give the POC a type of power that another character already has. It feels like a rip-off and really doesn't sit well with audiences (Right at you Riri)

Overall, there is no reason not to create a POC character, but do it right.

~V (@SylviaWolfe)