Classic Superpowers

Now, for me at least, there are always about ten superpowers that pop into my head straight away when I'm trying to come up with one for my character

These powers are always the most obvious choices, the ones that are cool, but overused and therefore aren't that fun or surprising anymore. I'm not saying they shouldn't be used, I'm just saying that they aren't as good as they used to be because they're all so overused now.

I'm recommending you come up with other powers, ones that are rarer, if not entirely made up by you. Or find a way to put an exciting new spin on these ones.

Here is a list of them and the cliches that often accompany them (if there are any, that is.)

TELEPATHY

The ability to read minds and often communicate with other people inside their heads.

CLICHE: Not entirely sure, but it is nearly always a small side power when people have telekinesis.

TELEKINESIS

The ability to move things with the mind.

CLICHE: the characters often have no control over their power and tend to hurt people or themselves when they get upset or angry. The power bursts forth from them, destroying things in its path, often causing the group/building to shake and walls to break.

INHUMAN STRENGTH

An ability that makes you far stronger than any human, enabling you to perform feats of strength no normal human could, such as lifting buses or tying iron poles into knots with little to no effort.

CLICHE: People often hurt someone without meaning to because of their strength.

CLAIRVOYANCE

Normally the ability to see flashes of the future.

Although it can also be the power to visually perceive events that are taking place in the present elsewhere (but not many people seem to know this.) People should use it more for this than the future, in my opinion (which you can feel free to ignore.)

CLICHE: People see flashes of their loved ones hurt and think that that means they're going to die, but they don't and then everyone lives happily ever after.

INHUMAN DURABILITY

The ability to get in almost fatal accidents, but walk out without sustaining much harm.

CLICHE: the fact that because of this they never really get hurt. (And, trust me, it's great having a character who you don't have to stress about, but people will never quite love them as much as they would a character they have to worry about getting smooshed under a train.) 

I mean, just once I'd like to see a character who has some super awesome powers, but the moment they get thrown into a building they're out for the count. Like, they can shoot fire from their fingertips, but they're still just human. Not everyone is Steve Rodger's.

Summer

( TheCheshireCatt )