Chapter 7 - Scorched

Copyright © 2014 by Jacquelyn Bipasha (Athena_Heart)

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any from or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods. Any resemblance to the characters featured in this story or other similarities will be taken into investigation, should a need arise and if necessary legal actions will also be taken.

“Nadia!”

Raul didn’t wait for Nadia to stop and listen to him. She was speeding like a torpedo towards the burning building. He chased after her as she disappeared into the glowing warehouse, in which Gino had run into, just seconds before her. He fast approached a small patch of young plants and with the athletic ability of a triple jumper, Raul leaped over the patch, which were no more than six steps wide.

Nimble and swift, he raced for the building. Thick black smoke had gathered at the top of the one story structure. The thundering explosion had happened somewhere at the back and the fire was slowly swallowing everything in its path. Nadia and Gino were inside. He had to get to them. Not even once had he expected Nadia to run into the burning inferno.

Nadia couldn’t believe what had just happened. The wine house with the finest of the Angelus wine collection had exploded and was now burning right before her eyes. To make matters worse, Gino had dashed into the fiery building. Filled with an overwhelming feeling of helplessness, she refused to slow down. Her thoughts were on the wine cellars in the basement cellar and her beloved dog.

Gino, please be safe.

There was no logic to explain why Gino had run off into the building. Or was it because he had sensed a danger?

“Oh my Diu!” She screamed when a portion of the left side of the building fell to the ground. It was a good thing the other two warehouses were built in a range of hundred meters away from one another. But this third warehouse was her initiative, an idea she had conjured to keep the best of the best together in a basement collection. Nothing on earth was going to stop her from getting those bottles to safety. This warehouse was mostly empty in the ground level with only the basement housing the most precious collection.

Her workers, who stayed in the smaller houses they had built for themselves outside the vineyard, were now running to and fro fetching water from the nearby pipes.

The wail of sirens sounded in the distance. Help was nearby but still she couldn’t just stand by and do nothing. She looked back at the fire, still on its destructive rage, as half of the storage house began to burn down and her heart splintered at the sight. Just a few hours ago, things had looked bright and the path a smooth sailing journey lingered before her. But now that hope went up in smoke as did the building, which was home to her dreams.

Pillars were on fire. It was like a gigantic pyre set for a tribal ritual. The sea of flames licked the ground. A quick survey of the place told her that the explosion had happened somewhere at the back. The path and staircase leading down to the basement were still clear but not for long as the fire made its fierce approach in that direction now Without a second thought, she made a dash for it.

Raul ran in lightning speed after the object of his affections. The wine-house was burning like a giant desert bush in the dry season.

Whoosh!

A gust of flame came bursting right at him. Desperately, he looked for a way into the building.