Chapter 4 - Ring, Ring! Ding, Dong!

Copyright © 2014 by Jacquelyn Bipasha (Athena_Heart)

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods. Any resemblance to the characters featured in this story or other similarities will be taken into investigation, should a need arise and if necessary legal actions will also be taken 

Ring! Ring!

“Oh for crying out aloud!” Nadia scolded, annoyed at the phone sitting by her bedside table. Zia Serafina had been calling her several times, with only one intention –to make her displeasure known, loud and clear; at how Nadia had treated Nunzio on the phone earlier that morning. Turning her back on the phone, her palms shot to each of her ears, to block out the bothersome mechanical whirs.

Nadia felt a whirl of wind around her legs. She looked down. Running around and around her feet, Gino was jabbing at her for attention. The very brief stint at the beach had in no way granted release for the high – spirited dog. A restless Gino now wanted to be out of the house.

“Gino,” Nadia called out to him to stop.

She was about to command him to stop when the furry animal suddenly stopped. Instantly, he flipped over on his back and played dead, with his long pink tongue sticking out.

“Gi -” Nadia stopped herself, shook her head and smiled. There was no way she would give a place for any anger in her heart for that lovable dog. She sat down on the edge of her bed. “I can’t go out now, Gino.” She said, patting her lap. With that small show of encouragement, the big puppy jumped on all four paws and took a leap for the bed.  Resting his head on her lap, Gino proceeded to gaze fondly up at her, looking contented. If he couldn’t get out, that was fine. He liked sleeping near Nadia. Her scent was always pleasing to him, relaxing all of his doggie senses.

Nadia sighed. The very second she had gotten her Zia’s phone call, a creepy feeling at the back of her neck indicated the day wasn’t going to be all that nice as she thought it would have been. Zia had been furious. In her opinion, Nunzio had been a perfect gentleman and Nadia had behaved in nothing less than that of an ill-manneredly brought up woman. It was a good thing that Nadia’s mobile had run out of battery and she was cut off from Zia’s thundering, booming voice.

Nadia had heard the words. Unbecoming of you, Nadia. Could you have been any more rude? For all you know, Nunzio may as well just become a part of our family.

The truth was Nadia disliked Nunzio. The man was allergic to practically everything and would sneeze as his body retaliated to any allergen. It wasn’t his fault but he could be just that more annoying. Honk! That was what it sounded like when he blew his nose. Honk! And not to mention, how he had sized up Nadia from head to toe, with his bespectacled goggles, like she was some delicious, grilled lobster he couldn’t wait to feast on, to have his fill and then spit the shell out. Seeing him look at her the way he did, made her feel as though cockroaches were running up her arms. Nadia shook herself free, from that pest of a thought.

Ring! Ring!

Nadia’s fingers clutched together and folded into two balls. She was in a good mind to yank the phone from its table and fling it outside, from her two-storey high window. Some form of silence would be good to settle down her jumpy nerves. Unfortunately for Nadia, Zia was now calling her on the residential phone. She was sure. No one else called on that line, except her Zia and Zio.  What had been a promising morning brought a horrid closure to her day.  There was only one reason for that. Raul Corpillo!

Meeting Raul at the beach had meddled with her carefully structured thoughts and feelings. Gia, like the irritating phone, had spoken non-stop about that man. Throughout the entire journey home, it had been Raul this or Raul that. Each sentence Gia spoke had a “Raul” in it. Nadia, nonetheless didn’t share her sister’s admiration for the dark – haired gorgeous man. De facto, Nadia was trying to wring any thought, even the tiniest bit, out of her head.