Twenty-Two

Sunday, December 7th

“How...hah…much…farther…are we…hah…going?”

I chuckled, “We’re almost to the bridge. Don’t worry; I swear it’s not much farther.”

We had kept a decent pace this morning. Poor Alexis has been out of breath for the last half-mile, but has refused to take a break.

“There, see it?” We had just crested a hill and I pointed ahead of us, “Another quarter-mile, if that.”

“Ugh…okay. I got this.” She put on a burst of speed as we got closer, getting it over with quickly.

We reached the plaque commemorating the building of the bridge and she collapsed onto a bench. I laughed as I walked around for a minute, watching her flop down on her back.

“You okay?” I asked pensively.

“Sure…I’ll be just fine.” She sat up suddenly, looking around her. “I have lived here since August and yet I have never visited the Golden Gate Bridge. You would think that it would be one of the first things any newcomer would do.” She stared up at the structure in complete awe.

I smiled, looking around, and spotted a vending machine. I walked over and bought two water bottles. I looked a little to the left and next to the visitors center there was a penny molding machine. I made my selection then went and sat next to her. I handed over the water and the penny, and she smiled.

“Now you have a souvenir.”

“Thanks.” She swung her legs back and forth under the bench. “How far did we run? And what time is it?”

I pulled my sleeve over my wrist and looked at my watch. “It’s ten o’clock and,” I pulled my ankle up onto my knee and pondered the pedometer I was wearing, “we ran almost six miles.”

She blanched, “That far huh?” She fell silent and sipped at her water. After a while she got up a walked over to the railing.

I joined her, placing my hand on her lower back and leaned in to kiss her cheek. “Since we’re here, you want to go inside and learn?”

She grimaced, “Learning on a Sunday…” She smiled, “Okay, why not. I have nothing else planned for today.”

“Well I would hope not.” I tangled her fingers in mine and pulled her along behind me. “I would hope that you would set aside this entire day, just for us.”

She laughed, “We just spent all day together yesterday. Miss me much? Seriously dude, you’re getting a little clingy.” She winked, proving to me that she was just teasing.

“Well, last night was kind of rough, so yea.” I tried to push the door open and it didn’t move. I looked at it in frustration as I continued to push on it. “Why won’t it open? We’re here during business hours… Grah!” I gave it a good shove and it still didn’t work.

“Sasuke…you’re a dork.” Alexis grabbed the bar and pulled the door open, smiling while rolling her eyes.

I stood there dumbfounded for a minute. What the hell? I can’t believe I just did that.

“And I thought I was bad.” She teased, holding the door open for me.

“You are bad. I’m just exhausted from the run…” I tilted my head up, effectively sticking my nose up at her, and strode in.

“Whatever Uchiha.”

~~~~~

“I can’t believe we spent over an hour in there.” I said as we stood at the bus stop.