One

Monday, September 3rd

My first day of school. New city, new school, hopefully new friends. Well, no sense in moping about my room, I need breakfast.

I had just finished breakfast and was going to ask mom for a ride to school when Nick, my father, walked in the front door. He was carrying a set of car keys that I didn’t recognize. When he spotted me his eyes lit up, “Looking for your mom?”

“Yea, I need a ride to school. Hey since you just got home, would you mind?” I said pulling my shoes on.

“Here you go Sweetheart.” He said tossing me the keys. “Think of it as a late birthday present.”

I stared at him incredulously after I had noted the logo on said keys. Camille, my mother;  Rochelle, my 13 year old sister; and Peter, my 11 year old brother all came into the entry at that moment, obviously they knew about this longer than I had.

How the hell did Pete keep this a secret? Rocky I understand, but Pete?

I didn’t waste any time running out the door. No thanks, or see ya laters required. They knew, just like I did that this was the best thing ever to happen to me in years. I stopped dead in my tracks with the door wide open behind me.

“No fucking way! You’ve got to be kidding!” I had been expecting a nice car, given the logo, but what awaited me was beyond my wildest dreams.

It was the sexiest car I had ever seen. I recall watching them drive past on the freeways and seeing them in auto plazas, salivating over them online and building my very own from start to finish only to discover with a soul crushing reality that there was no way in hell I could afford one on a part time minimum wage salary. It was a charcoal grey Nissan 370Z. Customized with the black rims and black suede interior, all the specs that I had on the picture printout hanging above my lockbox labeled ‘Car Fund’. I popped the hood and was amazed to see a 3.7 liter V6 engine with a smooth shift manual transmission awaiting my eyes.

I ran back to Nick and gave him the biggest hug I could muster, making him grunt out in surprise.  I ran back to the car a she hummed to life. With nary another thought I dashed off to school.

~~~~~

I pulled into the parking lot realizing that I had missed the first week of school and hoping that I wasn’t inadvertently taking anyone’s spot. When I got out of the car that thought dissipated as I received my first contact with a teenage life form from this town.

“Nice car.”

I turned around in shock, surprise, and elation when I see a tall boy with raven hair and onyx eyes. I notice that he is wearing dark blue jeans a black polo and black Vans. Ugh skater shoes. He was carrying his books nonchalantly under his left arm and twirling his keys around his finger in his right hand. I notice the logo and mentally thinking that he must come from a wealthy family. I glance back at his face and see him smirking at me. Have I really been staring that long?

“Th-thanks, I guess?”  Goddamn nerves, always messing things up when I meet new people.

His smirk grew and he started to walk past me when I decide to fall in step beside him. At least this way I won’t look like a total newbie by walking into the school by myself. We walk into the main building stop at a group of lockers.

Maybe I should start looking for mine.

“Sasuke, what ya dallying for? We’re gonna be late!”

I turn around a group of guys are standing a little ways off looking at us.

“I’ll be there in a sec; I was just showing the new girl to her locker!” He turns back and switches his books out of his locker. “Well, see ya later Alexis.” He waves as he saunters over to his friends.