Seven

Thursday September 27th

I walked into biology and spotted Alexis watching me. Her expression was hard to read. I sighed and walked to my seat. The jacket I had left at her house last night was draped across the back. “Thanks.” I put my book on the table and stared at the board. I was purposely ignoring her. She had pissed me off and hurt my feelings. The realization that my feelings were hurt shook me to my core. I didn’t get attached to a girl, that wasn’t my thing. Do I find her interesting because she has a boyfriend? No, I liked her from the moment I saw her pulling into school. She’s different. In all of her mannerisms, and dress. The way she thinks. She’s brilliant and something about her being both resilient and vulnerable makes me want to be near her. She initially brushed me off, and is easily flustered by my actions. I noticed myself becoming uncomfortable sitting next to her. She was far too close.

I felt a warm, shaky touch on my arm and turned out of shock to see Alexis staring at me with tears threatening to fall.

“I’m sorry.” She said quickly as her tears started to fall. I was startled. I had expected the apology and the tears, but not my feelings towards them.

I laid my hand over hers and attempted to smile, “It’s okay. I know it’s difficult. I’m sorry for yelling at you.” I wiped a few tears from her cheek. “You should stop crying before everyone else gets here.” I glanced down and looked at her slender hand under mine. I felt myself color. These same fingers were pressed ever so lightly to my lips. I thought of the impulse I had last night. Before I could rashly voice my thoughts, she pulled her hand from under mine and finished wiping the tears from her face. Our classmates began filing in, and the teacher came in and called the class to order. I turned my head slightly to my right to look at Alexis. I glimpsed at her face to see that she was composed, then, as I often find myself doing, I stared at her fingers as she wrote in her notebook. What would she have done if I had kissed her fingers last night?