Twenty-Two

Christopher Brown

I rose out of bed to Alex crying once again

I rose out of bed to Alex crying once again. I held him with the bottle of milk dripping to his mouth as Imani slept. I looked at her with the bags under her eyes and dried tears on her face. I had no idea what she had been through and now that I do it explained why her guard was always up. Why she always fought at the smallest things and why words got to her so easily. I heard Alex sucking slow down and eased the bottle out of his mouth putting it on a counter.

She lifted her head and inched off the bed not even looking at me. Just went to the bathroom and locked the door making me uneasy. I left it alone and went downstairs with Alex to the sight of Juju watching old Bad girls club reruns.

"Oh hey Chris," She said unbothered by my presence at this point.

She acknowledged me more and more as a human being instead of this huge celebrity. I wondered why she wasn't at school before realizing it's Saturday. Which meant I had to deal with her stank ass attitude all day but on the bright side I had a personality baby sitter. I gave her Alex and went into the kitchen to go make some cereal when thumps and bangs came from upstairs. I watched Juju gracefully fly upstairs after laying Alex safely down on the bed. I ran behind her to her screaming and Imani screaming back.

"OPEN THE DAMN DOOR IMANI!"

"No," She cried.

"YOU HAVE A WHOLE SON DOWNSTAIRS, YOU HAVE ME AND MAMA? YOU REALLY WANNA END IT RIGHT NOW!" She screamed.

I looked at Juju's face to it being red with a mixture of snot,drool and tears blending together then dropping to the ground off her chin. After a good kick the door flung open almost flying and I ran in. On the floor was blood just spouting out of her arm. A pool of it covering the floor.

"Oh my God," Juju said under her breath.

I cursed grabbing Imani and picking her up.

"Call 911," I told her running downstairs and getting a gauze for the deep cut.

"Imani talk to me,"I said wrapping the wound.

"I wanna die Chris, Let me die Chris," She softly said.

"Naw mama, can't let you do that right now, we got a son, and I don't know how I'mma make it without you," I said putting pressure as faint ambulance sounds rang closer and closer.

"You was fine before me you'll be fine without me,"She said.

Her words slurred and I could tell I was losing her. I looked at her face as it got paler and paler. Becoming almost lifeless. That's when Alex started crying and Juju picked him up chanting to him.