Personal Soldier (Nathan Sykes Fanfic) - Ch.12

“Get upstairs Nath, get a bag and pack some things, only what you need. Get your ID and passport aswell, be ready in 15 .... now go” He jumped up from his spot on the floor and didn't question what I'd told him and ran upstairs. I grabbed my phone and dialled Jay's number as I myself rushed into my room and packing.

“Kit-Kat y'alright?” He was slightly worried sounding. I only called him at work if it was serious. “No Jay, it's not. .. They found us, Petersons people .... we need to get out of here me and Nath. ... They left a note ... threatening .... Jay I-” I was panicing. My words were mixing together as I fought hard to stop any tears forming in my eyes. “Woah, woah okay ... slow down, keep calm-” I heard some squeeking, probably him lifting from a chair and then his voice calling others to him. “Alright Kat you need to get here as soon as you can ... bring this note with you as well... You're sure this is Petersons people?” “Jay ... of course it is, w-who else would do this, he threaten Nathan you know. He's not safe here ... Jay w- .... we need to leave-” I trailed off to a whisper and stopped packing my belongings, needing to sit on my bed to calm down. “Kat focus on getting here quickly and safely. Don't panic, please. I've got Seev down to find Greg and we'll have everyone here for you when you get here. We'll ... start making arrangements ..... okay? ..... just .... just hurry” and with that he hung up the phone.

I returned to my feet, flinging every kind of clothes into a bag, grabbing my gear from on top of the wardrobe, and fishing a box from underneath my bed. Inside I had all kinds of things from over the years that I'd kept, I searched around until I found my passport at the bottom. I'd never used my 'Sophia' passport. Never needed it. I threw it in on top of my stuff and zipped up my bag, throwing it over my shoulder and leaving the room. I met Nath on the landing. He was still shocked I could tell. His eyes always said more than words ever could, I noticed. He turned from me and started down the stairs, throwing the front door open and stepping through it. He's had to deal with a lot today, everyday really, since it happened. I hated seeing the life he had to live.

I sighed and followed him outside. He was already sat in the passenger seat, rubbing his hands over his face. I didn't even lock the door. What's the point with a bit gaping hole in the window? I stood just beside my car staring back at the house. I might not be back for a while .... I might never be back...

“Ooh off on holidays Kat?” Mrs Collins was stood next to the garden wall, gesturing at the bag on my shoulder. See, always there when you don't want her! “Uh yeah kind of, I'll see you Mrs. Collins, running a bit late” I hopped into the car to avoid any more questions. Her smile drooped slightly, not satisfied with the information I gave her, and returned to her house. I threw the bag onto the back seat, before starting the car and backing from the drive way. I didn't say anything, I didn't know what to say. And by the fact that Nath turned completely away from me and rested his head on the back of the seat, he didn't know either.

* * * * * *

I punched the code into the keypad outside the familiar building, watching the black iron gates roll away. Since I'd been given Nathan's case I hadn't been back since last week. Truthfully I felt safer here, I always did. I cut the engine but didn't leave the car. Nath turned to look at me briefly before turning again. I guess he was hoping I didn't notice his red eyes and the tear-stained cheeks. I noticed. “I'm sorry .... This is my fault-” He was talking quietly, looking at his hands. “-My fault you can't even be safe in your home, that you have to leave and look after me. You know if I were you .... I'd just give me up so you don't have to do this to yourself” He sounded angry. He blamed himself for this. How could he? I grabbed the side of his face, forcing himself to look at me. “Nothing that's happened is you fault. I don't know why you'd think that. It's these weirdos that are doing this. And as for leaving to take care of you.... I need to, or else I might go crazy knowing I wasn't there making sure your safe. We'll be back, it's not that we're in this situation forever.” He looked at me for a little bit before replying. “And you promise that don't you? ... We will come back right?” I took in a breath “I- .. I promise” and gave a small fleeting smile. I didn't want to break that promise, I honestly didn't know whether we would be safe home soon, or ever. Only once have people been taken to these extremes in a case, and they were ambushed and killed.....