Personal Soldier (Nathan Sykes Fanfic) - Ch.3

I stood in front of him with my arms crossed, giving him a disapproving look. He simply smirked and lowered his hand. “God, I'm sorry. I should think before making an unsociable gesture, such as a handshake” Oh. Brilliant. He's sarcastic as well. I cleared my throat before turning to Greg who began speaking to me “Katrina, You know what to do now, head down to security and get your gear sorted out, then it's over to Melissa to sort out Nathan's ID and such.” He smiled and I gave a small nod. He started to walk over to the table to pick up the folder and papers, but turned to me once more. “Bring him with you love” he said gesturing towards the boy who, by now, had taken a spot leaning against the door frame, humming to himself. “Must I? I'm sure he can wait downstairs until I'm ready to go can't he?” I leaned over to whisper “You know I don't like people in my way” “You have to get used to having him around Kit-Kat, it's the way it goes” He sighed heavily and then tapped me on the shoulder “Just .. be civil with him, He's old enough to not be a handful, you've been around worse haven't you?” “Yeah ... Yeah, fine. I'll take him. ... better not piss me off though” I mumbled the last part so no one could hear.

I said goodbye to Greg and walked towards the door where Nathan was still stood. “Out of the way .... please” realising I should still be polite like I was told. He chuckled and stepped out into the corridor. “Sorry .... Kit-Kat” I glared at him and I suppressed the small growl that almost passed my lips. “Don't .... call me ... that” Kit-Kat was the nickname my father gave me when I was younger. Today I only let Greg and some of my close friends use it, people who I cared about, not this smug little crap. No way. “Woah – oh. Okay, no need to go all crazy chick on me” He gave that annoying smirk once again, something he seemed to do a lot. That was gonna get old soon. Real soon.

I broke away from my glare and started walking quickly towards the elevator which I luckily didn't have to wait for. I stepped inside and pushed the button for the ground floor. Nathan stood beside me and started humming again. Wow, I met him about 20 minutes ago and he already knows how to push my buttons. That has to be a new record. As soon as the lift stopped I started on my way to security. I strolled in through the automatic doors and spotted Max in the far left of the large metallic and white room. “Heya George, what you got for me today?” I smiled widely at him. “Well hello Kit-Kat, y'alright?” “I'm good yeah, well I guess. I suppose you've heard about this case I've got, bit of a pain I think. But it's what a Protectors gotta do eh?” I gave a small sigh and looked at Max. “Oh come on now, you can't really be upset, Nathan's a great young lad. Me and Tom picked him up earlier and brought him here. He's hilarious you know, even with all that's going on in his life. I thought he was great fun, he isn't what you'd expect, trust me.” I scoffed “Isn't is he? Well I'm afraid I won't have the grand old time of getting to know him like you did, cause I'm gonna be a bit busy making sure the smart ass doesn't have his head blown off by some psychos” Max laughed at that and I heard from behind me the distinct laugh of Tom.

He was walking over from computer that was on the other side of the room, Nathan following closly behind him, wearing that god damn smirk on his face once again. “Well Katrina, what are you giving out about now? And what's this talk about psychos blowing up or suming?” Tom had a strong Bolton accent when he spoke. When he became part of PROTEGO security about 2 years ago, it took me weeks to understand him. “Ahh Tom-Tom she's not happy with her case is she? Thinks Nathan's a right little shit doesn't she?” Max said, giving a little chuckle. “Always something isn't there? Anyways, You here for your gear I assume Kat?” Tom began pulling some bags from the presses behind him as he spoke. “Yup yup, hand them over” I smiled at him. “Right, I don't think I've every seen someone's face light up so much when being handed a firearm Kat” said Max looking at me looking quite amused. “Especially not a girl, you couldn't be normal and freak out about shoes instead no?” “Well someones sexist aren't they? I know Max it's hard to except that a girl can handle her guns better than you can” I retorted “Ohhhhh, someones getting defensive” Tom began “We're just saying Kat. You can be wicked just as you are, but you're scary as hell with pistols added to you” I took the bag that Tom handed to me, which contained pistols, a shotgun and shells and my bulletproof vest. “Whatever lads, I'm off now I'll see ya tomorrow” I jumped of the high stool I was sitting on and started for the door, hearing goodbyes from the boys as I left.

Nathan trailed slightly behind me, seemingly taking in the whole building and humming along as he walked. To be honest I forgot he was even there. He must think I'm a right weirdo after what Tom and Max have been saying. Oh well, maybe he knows his place a bit better. I'm his Protector after all. Not friends or anything like that. And I don't like how lightly he seemed to be taking this whole situation. For someone who's father's been taken and him being hunted by some gang, he's suprisingly cheery. Maybe he's just dealing with it in his own way- Wait. What? Why am I thinking so much about it? I don't even care....

I made my way to the offices and found Melissa at her desk, looking stressed out about the mound of paperwork sprawled across the wooden surface. “Mel, how you doin'? I'm here to pick up the ID package for Nathan Sykes” She didn't even look at me but grabbed a brown envelope from beside her and handed it to me. I chuckled slightly “Thank you” and I turned away, perhaps it'd be best if I left her to it. Not paying attention to where I was going I walked into someone who was stood close behind me. I looked up to see Nathan smiling at me. “Watch it” I said and made my way around him. “I wasn't the one not paying attention” he sounded so amused by everything. That annoyed me. “So where are we going huh? Greg told me earlier that I was living with you right? Are we going home soon or do you have more to do here? I'm kinda hungry actually do know if I could get food somewhere? Hey Kat!” I took a deep breath and turned around making him stop walking as well. He was doing it on purpose, asking all these questions. I could tell by the grin on his face. “Shut ... up ... before I shut you up” I didn't even wait for any kind of reaction but I turned on my heel and made my way to the front door, unfortunately, with him still following close behind me.