Personal Soldier (Nathan Sykes Fanfic) - Ch.5

I sighed, turning off the car engine after pulling up outside my house. It wasn't anything grand. A small semi detached house, but I called it home. Nathan had fallen asleep not long after we 'talked'. “Nathan, Nathan wake up” I shook him gently by the shoulder. “Ahh whatever” I mumbled to myself. I stepped out of the car and banged the door closed, seeing Nathan instantly jolt awake, with a start. His confused expression was pretty hilarious and I couldn't help but laugh slightly. “You couldn't have been a little more gentle with the wake up call?” he huffed, stretching and letting out a yawn once he was out of the confines of the vehicle. “I could of, but that look on your face was absolutely priceless so ..” “Phfff, yeah whatever” he still sounded annoyed, but to be fair I couldn't blame him after what I said to him earlier. I had thought about just saying I was sorry, but my pride just wouldn't let me. I've always had trouble with that, admitting I'm wrong sometimes. I could try but-- eh, maybe this will be better. He's acting a lot more like the other vics that I've cared for now. He could of just needed to hear the truth, no sugar-coating. He needed to realise I'm working, this is serious.

“Ahh Sophia, you're home early aren't you? You alright dear?” I heard that familiar voice of my neighbour from over the fence that seperated my garden from hers. “Oh, afternoon Mrs. Collins, I'm fine ... just had a ... shorter work shift today.” She gave me the sweet but patronizing smile again, she was quite fond of that. Now, she was a nice lady I guess but my God was she nosy. She knew everything about everyone and if she didn't, she'd soon find out. This knowledge gave her a sense she was somewhat superior to others around here, but she's never said one bad thing 'bout me so I'll just stay out of it. “Ohh my Sophia, who is this handsome young man here now? Didn't know you had a boyfriend now did I?” Oh bollocks .... I'd forgotten Nathan was standing by my front door waiting to be let inside. Here we go ... “Eh .. Mrs. Collins this is Nat- uh, Cole, Cole, yeah he's a friend of mine. Not like a boyfriend, just a friend” I gave small nod to Nathan who greeted Collins with a small wave. “Ahh alright so Sophia, I'll let you get on .... have a nice day now, you two” she gave a little knowing smile and walked back into her house. I sighed. Dear lord I did not need this ...

I unlocked the front door and let Nathan inside. “You have the bedroom upstairs first door on the right. Bedcovers are right over there in the press by the living room so make your bed yourself. Kitchen's just through there-” I pointed to the room on the right of the hallway. “and bathroom next to your bedroom” He nodded slightly and started on his way upstairs. I was making my way to the living room and I heard him clear his throat. “What is it Nathan?” I said though for some reason it sounded kind of harsh. He looked, I don't know worried, sad, I haven't figured him out yet ... “Umm .. no ... nothing ... just thanks ... yeah? .... Oh and you can call me Nath .. by the way, my parents were the only ones who called me Nathan... so..” His lips turned into a small smile before he disappeared up to his room with his suitcase in tow. “R-Right” I whispered to myself, knowing there was a look of slight confusion on my face, even without having to look. To be honest, right now, I'd take back that smug little prick from earlier who just found everything funny and amusing. I hate to admit it to myself but seeing him so ... unhappy ... It just, brought me down. I sighed and went to the living room ... I needed a sit down...

* * * * * *

It was nearing about 7 in the evening by now. The TV was filling the room with sound, though I payed little to no attention to it as I went through some case notes and documents for work. Like usual, the papers littered the coffee table and spilled onto the carpet on the floor as I sat cross legged on my sofa. This seemed to be the exact same state this room was in whenever I had a case. What can I say .. I 'immerse' myself into my job ...

I heard the stairs creak quietly from the hallway, signalling that Nath had finally emerged from his room, the first time since we'd arrived almost 5 hours ago. I could hear him near the door of the living room and then .. stop. I sighed “I can hear you Nathan .. what is it?” I called to him not looking up from the papers in my hand. I heard him open the door, but he didn't come into the room. “Do you mind if I make a cuppa?” I lifted my head but didn't turn ... an odd question. “Well no i don't, but make us one as well seeing as you're at it” He chuckled “Sure, how do y-” “Two sugars, a little milk, teabags on the top shelf above the kettle.” I heard him chuckle again before he answered saying “Right so!” and leaving the doorway once again. Hmm ... He seems ... better, I guess ... my what sleep can do for someone ... I smirked and returned to the documents.

I looked everything over again and again, their was files on people close to Nath's dad, his colleagues, dear friends and family but nothing checked out. No reasoning behind anything, no direct enemies that we know of ... so what this was a random attack. Simply picked because he was part of the government? My thoughts were interrupted by a mug that suddenly appeared infront of my face. The warmth from it washing over my face. I looked up and saw Nath smiling at me, probably cause I've been sat here looking at the tea like I don't know what to do. Smooth. “Oh .. thanks” I grabbed the mug from his hand and he laughed and walked to the armchair next to me, making sure he didn't touch any of the things which lay on the floor.

“So, you're working right? On my dads case?” He took a sip from his tea and his eyes wandered over the different reports, suspect notes etc.. “Uh .. yeah, I've kinda hit a brick wall though. Not many suspects and the ones we do have, have got some solid alibis” I don't know why but for some reason I was ... almost ... nervous talking to Nath. I guess it could be a slight fear that my big mouth would start blabbing again and upset him ... that or ... something ... “Do you think it'd be alright if I take a look at-” He gestured towards the suspects folder. “No, no go ahead ... You might even be able to help.” I gave him a small smile to which he returned and leaned back on his chair, beginning to flick through the folder.

He was looking at everything over and over. He kinda reminded me of well ... me, in those few minutes. Hmpf ... funny that. “Hey Kat, I see a load of people here right, people my dad knew well, and even ones he didn't see eye to eye with sometimes. But I think I've met pretty much all of these guys over the years ... and sure some of them could be right pains, I honestly don't think they'd do something to my father” He seemed pretty sure of this fact. I believed him. “But-” he continued “I can't help but notice that there's someone missing ... someone I thought would be right up on the list I-” he sighed “Nathan, if you think there's someone else ... let me know .... please” he smiled at that, me being polite, properly for once. I should do that more often .... He's got a nice smile. Oh dear .... “Well yeah-” he snapped me out of my bubble by speaking again “My dad had an assistant ... um about 2 years back. Got on great they did but ... I don't know what happened but things got really weird between 'em and then after a bunch of really heated arguments .. The guy just like vanished ... I guess me dad fired him or something. But personally ... gave me the creeps” Nath furrowed his eyebrows and looked at me. “Nathan, that's bloody brilliant ... what-” I pulled my laptop out from under the sofa. “what was his name?” “Peterson, Derek Peterson” Hmm ... the kids not bad ... I might be able to get this case done and dusted faster with him, seems like he knows more than he's letting on ...