Personal Soldier (Nathan Sykes Fanfic) - Ch.4

I reached my car and unlocked it, opening the boot to throw my bags and Nathan suitcase into it. I saw a few drops hit the ground around me. Looks like it's gonna rain again. Great. I hop into the front seat and buckle my seatbelt. I notice that he hasn't gotten in yet, he's standing outside of the car looking at me, those drops of rain dampening his hair slightly. I sighed and rolled down the window “Are you ... planning on getting in ... or do you want to walk for miles in the rain? You know I would like to get home sometime today” He smiles and makes his way around to the passenger seat and jumps in. “Right, well, here this is yours-” I open the brown envelope I was given by Mel. Inside was a new ID, driver's license etc. And a passport. They always gave a passport to the vics, if things ever got too out of hand they'd leave the country with their Protector. It's only happened once though, that things got that bad. Unfortunately, it didn't help like planned and- well, we'll say they never came back to England...

“You are now Mr. Cole Andrews from Gloucester, you go by that name everywhere from now on unless your with me or in the PROTEGO buildings .. understand?” He nodded and took everything into his hands, he picked it up to look at it and sighed. “I never thought something like this could ever happen to me, you know having to give up everything, leave everyone. And for what? I get punished for having a father like that, an idiot. He never cared about me. Why do I have to get dragged into the shit that's all his fault?” Nathan threw the things back into the envelope and he rubbed his hands over his face. Oh god, if it turns out this dudes some emotional wreck to top it off, I think I might leave this bloody job all together. He turned and smirked and said “Sorry ... forget that” and he gave a small chuckle, turning his head to look out the window. I didn't really know how to react. Maybe this guy isn't really the typical 'rich kid' I thought, those that always get on my nerves, every last one of them and believe me I see a lot of them. Perhaps I should give Nathan a chan- Wait, hold up, NO RELATIONS WITH THE VICS ..... oh god ... I'm going soft aren't I? .... I should also work on this 'talking to myself' thing .... that's a bit weird ......

I turned the key and started the car, making my way out of the gates once more and settled in for the long journey back...

* * * * * *

It was about 45 minutes or so that I had been driving. We'd still had a ways to go though. Luckily I had avoided any form of conversation by turning the radio up, high. But one minute the sound of Rihanna was flooding the car next minute it was gone. He'd turned it off. Here we go .. “So tell me something Katrina, what exactly is up with the whole 'Protector' thing, eh?” He said and gestured with his hands on the word Protector. “And what exactly .. do you mean be that?” I huffed. “Well I mean, not to sound like a knob or nothing but like .... the point of you guys is? And whats up with the name to, like it's sound like something out of a really lame video game” He chuckled. “The 'point' of us Nathan is to make sure the people of interest in cases ... like you, are kept safe and aren't kidnapped or killed or something” I tried to lace my voice with as much annoyance as I could. I hoped this 'little chat' would end soon. “And the name ... well we protect people ... so we're Protectors ... doesn't take a genius to work out why we're called that” Perhaps that answer would keep him quiet for a while. I reached over to turn on the radio again when Nathan interrupted me. “You're a bit of a bitch aren't you?” he said in a very matter of fact kind of way. I gave a little laugh at that comment. “Uh, excuse me?” Right, who the heck does this kid thing he is exactly? “Well, come on you're being like this and I've not done anything to you, so you must just be a bitch in general. Either that or you're on your period” He laughed and leaned his head back against the seat. “Okay look-” I pulled the car in at the side of the road. I could feel myself getting progressively angry the longer I talked to him, so I was gonna put a stop to this. Now this is just my first day with him- actually not even a full day it's been like 3 hours, at this rate I'm gonna end up killing him before anyone else even gets a look at him.

“Right Nathan, I think I need to explain something to you ... cause I think you don't understand ... okay?” I tried my best to keep calm. Avoiding looking at him probably helped because I just knew he had that smirk on his face once again. “I ... am here to keep you safe. There are some seriously messed up people in the world and unfortunately, you have quite a few of them after you right as we speak ... okay? Now Nathan, I am NOT your friend okay? That isn't what I'm here to be. Not here to sit you down and tell you everything is gonna be alright, because you know what I can't guarantee that it will be. I was given this case to guard you. So if I am gonna act like a bitch, I can and you have to just grin and bear it cause right now I am all that's standing between you and this maniacs. Now I know someone's already explained this to you, so I don't know why you don't get it, but please for the love of God try and get that through your thick skull” I tried my hardest not to, but I ended up yelling by the end of my rant. We sat in silence for what seemed like an hour but what must have really only been a minute. I looked at him before I went to start the car again. He wasn't smiling, wasn't smirking, he was just staring straight ahead, no emotion present on his face. But then he leaned forward and turned the radio on again, loud and he rested his head against the window watching everything go by as I drove back into the city. I'd never really thought about it before, I always just thought of myself as a strong person who could stand up to people. I always liked how I was. But now made me realise, after making Nathan feel like complete shit .... Maybe I am just a bitch ...