Personal Soldier (Nathan Sykes Fanfic) - Ch.2

“Alright everyone, settle down, settle down” Greg said entering the room. The chattering stopped and we all looked to him waiting to hear what he had to say. The team sat in the room in a line, all facing towards Greg who stood with his back to the door next to the presentation board hung on the wall. “So you all must know that this is another extreme case, which is why we called you in to work it, you're the best we have to offer” he told us. “This is going to be a close run which means we're in need of a Protecter. Katrina-” he began, facing me. “You're on this case.” Alright finally, I haven't been on an EC in a while, at least half a year now. They always seem to chose another Protecter instead of me. I've always been a little 'eager to please' shall we say. I've got a lot to prove to the older guys around here. Most of them just say it's an anger management thing, but whatever, I'm not as bad as they make it seem. I just ... I'm a little violent ... sometimes. ....

“Okay, so back to business people, I've got the case notes sent to all of your desks, Josh and Beck, you've got some fingerprints and some handwritten notes to look at, do what you can” Greg continued as people began filing out of the room to begin their work “And Katrina, go to Meet room 5, i'll see you up their in a few minutes” I nodded and made my way to the elevator once again, I turned the corner quickly, knocking into someone in the process. “Oh Bird, I'm sorry” I said leaning down to pick up the document folders I had knocked out of his hands. Jay worked in the tech room, did all sorts to do with electronics and computers and that. Absoloute genius he was, but also one of my best friends around here. He also started in the facility quite young, I guess that's why we got along.

“Ahh don't worry about it Kit-Kat, accidents happen” he smiled “Oh I heard you got a case on your hand, congratulations! I was a little surprised they picked you though, for this particular one I mean” I looked at him confused “Why were you surprised? Hey! Do you not think I'm capable? Come on Bird, that last one wasn't too bad, give me a break-” I huffed before he cut me off. “No, No, No I didn't mean it like that” he chuckled “It's just I know you're not really keen on having to look after ... certain people ....” he trailed off. “... Bird, please tell me ...” “Look you'd better head to the meeting, Greg doesn't like you being late”

Before I could ask anything else he was half way down the corridor. I sighed. Maybe I shouldn't be too excited for this. I pressed the button for the third floor and started walking towards Meet room 5, greeting some people I passed with a small nod or a wave. I knocked on the door. “Come in” I heard from inside. I stepped into the room and saw Greg looking out the window with his back to me. He turned and smiled “Ahh Katrina, how are you sweetie? Come take a seat and I'll walk you through the identity notes” I walked towards him and plopped down onto one of the leather chairs beside the large wooden table in the centre of the room

“Alright-” He opened a large blue folder onto the table in front of him and rested his arms either side of it as he read from the papers inside. “We've got a male, age 19, whose father was a member of a government agency, dealing with some foreign affairs. The father was taken not 2 weeks ago, presumably being held captive.” he continued reading “The boy was supposedly the last in contact with the father before his disappearance, and we have been issued to keep him safe. The boy, a Nathan James Sykes was said to not have a strong relationship with the father for he did not approve of his son's behavior lately, however-” he looked at me briefly to make sure i was following, I nodded at him to continue. “Nathan is still in danger due to his knowledge of the foreign affairs in Europe and Asia and his access to his fathers workings.” Greg turned the page and continued to tell me the story of this boy, this Nathan.

Jay was right – why did they pick me for this case? Everyone in the agency knows how much these spoilt, little rich kids got to me, they never gave me a case with anyone like that – always stuck me with some older people or small families. Now I've got to be the Protecter of some prick, who – no doubt will be the death of me .... if i don't end up killing him first. I smirked. Greg looked at me, he knew what I was thinking “Now Katrina I know what kind of cases you don't like, and I'm sorry we have to drop this one on you, but you are, everyone agrees as well, that you are our best Protecter. Now this case is a big deal. We wouldn't put you on it if it wasn't” He looked into my eyes trying to see what i was thinking. “Look, alright, I -” I sighed “I'm not gonna say I'm happy about this but, this is my job after all. I'm proud to be thought of as the best – thanks by the way-” he smiled at me slightly “Even though I'm not gonna like it, I'll do my best. My best not to rip his head off that is” We both looked at each other before we burst into laughter. “Ahhh that's it Kit-Kat, and I've met the boy, he's not what you think trust me, who knows you might get along well” “Woah now, I wouldn't go that far .... I'll protect him, I'll do my job but I'm not gonna go around being his best buddy. Which might I add is against the rules – No relations with the vics – remember?” He sighed at me before getting up from his seat.

He crossed the room and opened the door. “Right, bring him in” he said to someone outside. About a minute later I heard some whispers between Greg and what sounded like two others behind the door. Greg stood back and turned to me and nodded. “Katrina, this is Nathan” he held his hand towards the doorway where a boy walked in, with Tom and Max from downstairs standing behind him. “Thank you lads, that will be all for now” Tom gave Nathan a small nod and a tap on the shoulder, Max gave a nod and said “We'll see ya around mate” before leaving and closing the door. Nathan turned back around, flashed a smiled and took a step towards me. He outstreched his hand in front of him and said “It's nice to meet you”