Chapter Seven ~ Goodnight beautiful

Chapter Seven

Mariah’s POV

Max didn’t show up at school today, I texted him asking if he was alright, he hadn’t replied, that was unusual, considering we were joined at the hip. I was worried, thinking about what Dale had threatened, beating me, accusing me of being with Max… Oh no….

I knew what had happened, Dale had attacked Max, he might be badly injured! Oh god… I had to confront Dale, what had he done to Max? I saw him talking to Lucy, he smiled seductively, Lucy held her books close to her chest, batting her eyelids flirtatiously, when they saw me coming, they instantly pretended to talk to each other like normal. I didn’t care about that, I never did, and for all I cared and prayed that Dale would leave me and go for Lucy. I stopped in front of him. I hissed, “Dale… What. Have. You. Done. To. Max.” Dale rolled his eyes and spat back, “what you worried about your lover?” Everyone in the Hall had stopped what they were doing and watched carefully.

“He is not my Lover, he is my best friend! Get that into your thick head.” Dale was fuming; I knew he wouldn’t do anything in front of everyone else. “I ask again. What did you do to Max?” He shrugged his shoulders, “I don’t know what you are talking about!” he innocently turned away and full on gave me cold shoulder. I had had enough of his bullshit. I was beyond angry, I was mad. “Damn you Dale! LISTEN TO ME!” I shouted at him, which stopped him dead in his tracks. He turned on his heel, a crazy glint in his eye. He wrapped a hand around my throat and slammed me against the lockers.

I gasped as he cut off the air getting into my lungs, everyone around exclaimed out loud and Lucy shrunk away from him. “Shut the fuck up…” he growled, I clawed at his hand for I couldn’t breathe. “HEY!” Someone shouted, I looked and saw Louis, Dale let go of me and watched me crumble to the floor, coughing and spluttering, gasping for air. Dale walked away, smiling triumphantly; his three friends found him and walked away with him. “Mariah!” Louis’ voice infiltrated my ears, he wrapped his arms around me, “are you alright?” he whispered soothingly. I nodded my head, clearing my throat; Lucy gave me a pitiful look, then ran off, with tears in her eyes. What was her problem?

I tried to stand up, but I moved to quickly, only to fall back in Louis’ arms. “Slowly…” he lulled. I swallowed a dry throat; everyone was watching us, their eyes wide. “YOU RAT BASTARD!” A familiar screech echoed in the halls, all heads turned towards the scream. Helena punched Dale in the face. Taken by surprise, Dale staggered back. I was on my feet again and rushed over, Dale went to hit Helena but someone crashed tackled him at the last minute. I felt woozy and leaned on Louis’ shoulder. Harry took a hold of Helena’s hand and pulled her back. The mysterious guy stood up and brushed himself off. It was Michael. “It’s bad enough you abuse Mariah, but now you were going to abuse my cousin? That’s not right!” I had to go find Lucy, to see what the matter with her was.

I left Louis’ side and headed to the direction Lucy had headed in. I walked past the girl’s bathroom and heard sobbing. I opened the door to see Lucy staring at the mirror; her face stained black form crying. She quickly wiped her eyes and sniffled. “Hey…. You alright?” I said quietly. She nodded quickly, then paused, turning that nod to a shake of the head. “I have something to confess Mariah….. I slept with Dale…. Thinking he was one of those good looking guys that would protect you no matter what…. I envied that you had this guy. But just then…. I saw that I need someone to protect me from him! Not him being the one protecting me.” I understood what she meant; I walked to her side and draped an arm over her shoulder. “How long has he… you know… hurting you?” I gulped and lifted up my sleeves, showing her my scars, her eyes widened, “he hurt that bad?” she whimpered. I shook my head, “I’m not done yet” I lifted down the corner of my pants showing my battlefield of a hip. Tears sprung from her eyes, she sobbed loudly. “He’s such a horrible guy!” she rested her head on my shoulder.