Chapter Four ~ Confusion

Chapter Four

Mariah’s POV

I was going with the casual look, black skinny jeans, white tank top with a grey sweater over the top. My hair was down, it just passing my shoulders; I didn’t even bother to straighten it. I was going for the natural look. Except the makeup that was covering the bruises on my face and arms, Plus the scars on my wrists. I bounced down the stairs, feeling slightly happier, I wasn’t going to eat anything, but I still was going to take my wallet anyway. Helena came down the stairs, I was guessing she just woke up, her hair was still perfect, she didn’t look that bad. Harry was following close behind, they stopped in the kitchen, Harry wrapped his arms around her waist, resting his head on her shoulder. “How’d you two sleep?” I asked fiddling with my choppy fringe. “Great!” they replied in unison, Helena gave me a sceptical look, “where are you going?” I let out a small, wispy laugh, “I’m going out for lunch!”

Harry wiggled his eyebrows, “who with? Louis?” I shook my head, they both raised an eyebrow. “With Dale?” Helena whispers so softly it was barely audible. Yet again I shook my head, “I’m going out with Max.” Helena’s eyebrows shot up and a surprised look played across her face, “really?? With one of Dale’s friends??” Helena sounded genuinely surprised. I sighed, “He’s nice to me, and he asked me if I wanted to go! But only as friends!” They both let out a relieved sound. I rolled my eyes, licking my lips, moistening them. I checked the time on my phone; it was time for me to leave. “Well… see you guys later!” the both of them said goodbye, with that I exited the front door and started to walk to Jesse’s Diner.

****************

“Hey Mariah!” Max welcomed me casually, I smiled and we took a seat at a booth. “So! How have you been?” he asked awkwardly staring at his hands, “Uhh... I’ve been fine… What about you?” he shrugged his shoulders, “I guess I’m okay!” I smiled. We sat in silence for a while; he finally ordered a drink, asking if I wanted anything, I shook my head. He started to sip on his drink, “Why did you ask me out for lunch?” I asked sceptically, “Well… I just thought it’d be nice… also… you’re not the only one who wants to get away from Dale…” I frowned, “What do you mean?”

“I mean, once you’re his friend or in your case… his girlfriend, there is no escape… he keeps you there… you can’t get away from him, he has to let you go...”

“But he’s a crazy dick!”

“I know… I want to get away from him… I’m scared that when he finds out something about me… he’ll hurt me… or embarrass me!”

“What secret?”

“I’m Gay…” He confessed, I nodded, I suspected it…  Dale is a massive homophobic, so I can understand how Max was feeling. “So… any ideas on how to get away from him?” I asked quizzically, “We could kill him??” Max smiled playfully, I laughed, playfully slapping his forearm, “oh if only!” I sighed. “But he deserves something, but not death… no one deserves death…” Max nodded, but we laughed again, it was the first time I had laughed in a while. He paid for his drink “You want me to walk you home?” he asked, I shook my head, “I’ll be fine, it’s only a twenty minute walk from here!” Max nodded, “Well, I shall see you at school then?” I nodded, giving him a hug. It was finally nice to have a friend who understood about Dale. I pulled my sweater sleeves over my hands as the wind picked up, pressing against my back. I knew a short cut; I turned around the corner, walking down into an alleyway. I felt a prickling sensation roll down my back, as if someone was watching me, I quickened my pace, the sensation never leaving.

Hands wrapped around my waist, I started to scream but a firm hand clamped over my mouth, someone slammed me against the wall. It was Tyler, one of Dale’s friends; he clicked his tongue in disgust. I felt a tear roll down my cheek, someone pulled him away, it was dale, he smirked, kissing the tears off my face, I convulsed at the touch of his lips on my face. “I told you that you were going to pay, but with the help of my friends this time.” He placed a light peck on my lips, I was shaking violently, what was he going to do? Come on Mariah! Think! You can get out of this situation! My conscious was telling me, His friend Tyler lit up a cigarette, taking a smoke, I hated the smell, I gagged, forcing Dale, Tyler and his other friend Robert to laugh. Dale stepped away, Tyler grabbed out my forearm, putting his cigarette on my skin, I screamed. Robert pushed my back, smashing my head against the wall. I slid down it, feeling sick and dizzy.

Dale kicked me in the stomach, I groaned, clutching it, my eyesight going blurry. Tyler grabbed a handful of my hair and pulled me to my feet, he let go then punched me, forcing me to fall to the ground again. Their raspy laughs echoed on the walls, I heard someone bring something out of their pocket, Dale held in his hand a switchblade, a crazy glint in his eyes. “Dale…” Tyler warned, understanding that he was going too far. “He turned round and hit Tyler across the face with the switchblade, a thin cut across his cheek. I heard pounding feet coming from around the corner. “Shit…” they all muttered in unison, leaving me there, “Mariah!” I recognised that voice, but more pairs of feet where to be followed. Someone pulled me into a tight hug, “It’s okay… they’re gone…” his voice lulled me, comforting me.

**********

Louis’ POV

I walked past the diner with everyone, Niall and Liam was chatting, Harry on his phone and Zayn looking up in the sky. I looked in to see Mariah; I smiled, but then saw she was with someone else, the smile fell off my face. We quickly hurried past, not quite sure where we were going. Just as we turned the corner we heard a scream, Harry and I exchanged looks, we turned on our heels and headed towards the sounds, I skidded around the corner what I saw devastated me. Mariah lay on the ground clutching her stomach, as three mysterious boys ran off, cursing. “Mariah!” I ran to her side, gently pulling her into a hug, she was trembling, “it’s okay… they’re gone…” I whispered, slowly rocking her body back and forth, whispering comforting things. “Who did this to you?” I asked quietly, she shook her head, gripping onto my shirt.

“Can you stand?” I cooed, she nodded, it wasn’t reassuring, but sure enough, she stood up, leaning on me. I wrapped an arm around her waist, to help support her. I had a good idea who might’ve done this to her, but I didn’t have any proof. But I was sure as hell that I was going to give him shit anyway. When we reached her house, I took her upstairs into her room. “Mariah… are you going to tell me who did this to you?” she shook her head, biting her lip. “Was it Dale?” she stayed silent, “Mariah… You can tell me anything… please... I’m here to listen.” I sat down next to her on her bed, “Look… I know he treats you badly; I just don’t want to see you get hurt… I care about you Mariah… you may think that I don’t, but I care a lot.” I was going to continue on but I was cut off by a pair of lips crashing against mine. I was at first startled, but then I kissed her back.

It wasn’t long till we deepened the kiss, I licked her bottom lip asking for entrance, she granted without hesitation. We quickly pulled away when Helena shouted from downstairs, “MARIAH! I HEARD WHAT HAPPENED! ARE YOU OKAY??” I smiled, “I best be going,” Mariah herself was smiling, Helena walked right past me, “Oh hey Louis!” she said casually before heading into Mariah’s room…

************

Mariah’s POV

I lay in my bed really confused, it was nearing midnight, what just happened this afternoon, did it really happen? Did I kiss Louis and he kissed me back? I was really confused, but then my inner self is thinking, Damn it Mariah! It’s obvious! Dale is a prick and you love Louis! It’s not that hard! Well actually it is. I can’t be with Louis, Dale is just so….. I don’t know… BLEH! That’s right he is just… bleh. No words can describe what he is… I flung my sheets off my bed, my feet massaging the carpet as I snuck out of my room. I opened Helena’s door, I needed someone to talk too. She lay there, peacefully, lightly snoring. I shook her lightly, she murmed something about rainbow sheep. I shook her again, she wrapped her strong arms around me and pulled me onto her bed, “What do you want Mariah??” I smirked, “It’s about Louis…” she opened one eye and forced me to get under the covers with her.

“Spill the beans… I want all the Goss!” I told her about the kiss and about how confused I was, she just lay there and nodded, “It’s seems my friend, that you are in a pickled situation!” I nodded, searching for some advice. “Well… all you can do is listen to your heart! Don’t let that brain of yours overwhelm you!” I nodded, pretending to understand, when really I knew that my brain had already overwhelmed me, it was too late. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. My eye lids grew heavy and before I knew it, I heard Helena’s alarm clock going off. Telling me it was another school day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There we have it

Sorry for it being short

I really don’t have much to say for my authors note!

So

Fan, comment, vote

Do whatever

Love you all!

-Katlyn