Chapter Three ~ A New Friend?

Chapter Three

Mariah’s POV

I looked in the Mirror, I felt so fake, I looked like a Barbie with brown hair. I grimaced when I brushed my hands on my hips; they were still so tender from this morning. I rejected every dress I tried on; he was just going to have to put up with my appearance. I was wearing bright red skinny jeans, a white tank top that showed cleavage I never knew I had. I had straightened my hair, pulling it back into a ponytail. I did my makeup, my butterflies in my stomach getting worse; I slipped on a pair of heels, feeling like a slut. I moistened my lips, looking at the time, I had a good twenty minutes till I had to make my way to the park, I looked at my heels, then kicked them off, I wasn’t going to wear stupid six inch heels to the park.

I pulled out my black ballet flats and slipped them on, admiring myself in the mirror again. Some knocked on the door, forcing me to jump and bang my left hip on the wall, I screamed out in pain, “MARIAH! ARE YOU OKAY?” Helena screamed through the door, I opened it, flashing a fake smile, “yeah… I’m fine, you startled me and I smashed my elbow against the wall.” She nodded sceptically, not really believing me. She looked me up and down, “sorry… didn’t mean to scare you!” I waved the subject away with the flick of a hand, “umm… well… the girls and I were going out today… I was wondering if you wanted to come?” I smiled; I was going to say ‘yes’ but then I remembered that I had to meet up with Dale and his shallow friends.

“Uhh… thanks that was really sweet of you but…. Dale, a few of his friends and I are going out to the park today! Thanks again!” I replied smoothly, even though underneath, my heart was screaming to go with them. “Oh… okay… But I also invited Harry and his friends… Louis was going to be there….” Helena nudged me with her elbow winking.  I closed my bedroom door blushing; I quickly touched up my hair and makeup before leaving my bedroom, I marched down the stairs, entering the kitchen, the food around me was so tempting, but I refused it, I grabbed a glass of water and quickly sculled it down. I looked at the kitchen clock, I should get going…

I rinsed the glass and left it to dry on the sink. I shouted a goodbye to my foster parents and to Helena, I got muffled goodbyes back. I charged out the front door, not wanting to be late. I walked down the drive way, goosebumps rising on my arms, I was so nervous. I mean, the last time I saw him, he tried to rape me, this was all so awkward and weird, I didn’t know how I was going to behave in front of him. The shade form the trees kept me cool in the warm weather, i cracked my knuckles, an old habit that I do absentmindedly now, I had been doing it for so long, that I did it without even noticing. Of course Dale hated it, so I always tried to crack them before I met up with him.

I shuddered as the park came into view, as HE came into view. He was being a dickhead, as usual with his friends, being stupid idiots. He caught sight of me…. Drat…. I thought to myself. He beckoned me over, smiling; I lowered my head, dawdling over. “Hey Mariah!” Dale cooed, wrapping his arm around my waist. I flinched at his touch, but he ignored it, “You look beautiful!” he whispered, it’s been a while since he last admired me, but I wasn’t so sure if I believed him. A collective of ‘Hey’s and Hi’s!” where heard from his friends, I just grinned weakly, not really wanting to be here, I honestly just wanted to be at home… by myself… alone with my thoughts.

“Mariah?” Dale whispered, I snapped back into reality, “hmmm?? Oh sorry… yes?” Dale let out a soft, small laugh. “It’s nothing, you were frowning…” I gave him a fake smile, “Oh… I was just thinking…” he nodded and returned back to his conversation with his five friends. I huffed, I started to think about last night, how Louis came and comforted me. Why did he even care? I mean… I am a nobody; I am trying to remember about what happened at the school hall, I don’t remember much of the conversation, all I remember was getting punched and spitting blood on Dale. But I know that there was something else, something else important, I mean, this happened all yesterday, I should be able to remember it… Maybe Dale hit me harder than I thought…. Or maybe, my mind is trying to block it out.