Chapter Ten

Clove's Pov

I was walking out of the mall with Brady. I felt extremely bad about blowing off my friends. I hated lying to them. But I wanted to keep them safe. I was interrupted by a loud marching sound. I spun around to see none other than Cato Hadley. Uh-Oh.

"Who is this?" he spat. "Cato no-" I started. "Who is he?" he snapped loudly. I shrunk back in fear. Brady stepped forward and smirked. "I believe I'm her boyfriend, and you?" Cato's eyes flared with hatred. "Excuse me?" Brady rolled his eyes. "I said I'm her boyfriend!" Cato turned to me. "Cato no! I-he's-" I cried. "No!" He yelled. "It's impossible to be your boyfriend! I can't! Do you know how long I've cared and loved you? But no! I thought you really did!" People were staring but I didn't care. "I do, Cato, just listen!"

Tears poured down my face. Cato shook his head. "No you don't. You just come along and date whatever boy pops up. Just like them." I knew them meant Delly and Lucille and the rest. I grabbed his arm. "No, Cato- please!" He wrenched his arm out. Their were so many people staring but I didn't care. I needed Cato to understand. "Clove, stop trying. You obviously don't care. We're through." I clung on him for dear life, trying to get him to look at me, but he was too strong. He slapped me down and left, leaving me crying. I immediately spun to Brady, who had an impressed look on his face. "Well, well, look at the trouble you got yourself into,little Clovely," he drawled. I didn't let him finish. "No, Brady! You're a moron and I HATE you!" I punched him, knocking him out. I tore through the mall and into the bathroom sobbing like crazy. I now didn't have a ride so I texted the girls, something I hadn't done all week. I opened a new contact message so I wouldn't have to read their replies of 'Clove! Where are you?' I started typing immediately.

Clovergirl🍀🔪: hey guys. I'm so sorry but I need to talk now. Can I have a ride? I'm at the mall

Johanna💀: Clove! Your back! and sure.

AnnieBannanie🐬: of course!

KitKat🔥: missed you so much!

Madgey🌺: sure!

Clovergirl🍀🔪: thanks guys😞

Johanna💀: sure bae

FinchyPinchy🍇: yeah we'll pick u up in the van in ten

GlimmerGlam💕: we'll be at the front of the mall, by Yogurt House

Clovergirl🍀🔪: thanks.

I cleaned off my mascara from my face with water and tried to get the blood of where Cato punched me. It was dry and hard but when I looked at my phone it was already fifteen minutes. Dang! I ran out the bathroom and into the loud mall. I rushed to the front, where the van was. Glimmer was driving upfront with Finch and Katniss and Johanna were in the first row with Annie and Madge thumb wrestling in the second row. Finch rolled down the window. "Hey, Clover!" she called. "Woah, what happened?" I opened the door and sat by Katniss. Cato used to call me Clover. At the thought I burst into tears. They seemed extremely confused. One minute I'm at the mall and the next I'm crying. I started to tell then the whole story, from a few years ago with Brady until my breakup today.

They were good friends and by the end they were all in tears. Even Johanna was misty-eyed. I texted my mom I'd be home late and picked up my duffle bag, always prepared with sleepover stuff,and hobbled into Katniss's house. She explained to her mom and we all flopped in her room. It was painted in the meadows, light blue sky, trees, and clouds. There was a painting of her, Peeta, Prim, and her mother on a hill, laughing and talking. They had a picnic and lemonade. If was very detailed. Probably painted by Peeta. On some shelves were family and friend pictures. Birthday parties and movie night. I saw the Prom pictures and burst into tears again. Katniss turned the picture around and patted my back. They all gave me reassuring words, like "Don't worry, he'll soon realize his mistake," and "Don't worry, hon, he really loves you," and "He'll come back," and "Cato is a real big moron,", courtesy of Johanna.

At the end Mrs. Everdeen ordered pizza and milkshakes for us and all of us, including Prim, ate pizza and ice cream watching Wreck It Ralph. Comedy to cheer me up. I was a mess of crying but my friends made me feel better. Even Prim, sweet Prim who hugged me and hoped I felt better. I hope Cato was suffering.