CHAPTER FORTY FOUR

Luisa woke in Cataindar. She worked a rag over her sword, catching her reflection in the blade. Tomorrow a new chapter of her life would begin in her world; she would start at Ruthin School and her Mum might die.

In her world. She felt more at home here in Cataindar.  She wished she could just stay here, despite everything, despite nearly being killed and despite seeing Greave’s head cut off. 

Each hour in Cataindar was precious now. She wanted to continue to train, to get better, to lead better.  She had lived after all, Darcius had saved her life, perhaps she had been spared for a reason?

I won’t waste it! 

Despite everything Darcius was an incredible warrior, he was fast, he was strong. 

Stronger than Finn perhaps?

Clearwater brought her moss tea and a spiced cake.  Luisa broke it in half, giving half back to Clearwater who devoured it heartily. Through a mouth full of spiced cake Clearwater spoke, “The abbot has called a meeting after training today Princess, with you and all the scouger leaders.”

Luisa nodded.  It was expected, she imagined they would be working hard to find the rest of the conspirators.   She changed into full fight wear and shackled her scabbard to her hip.  She was going to train then head to the readers and work on her dewin.  She wanted to be floating like the abbot in a week.

“Catch you later on Clearwater,”

Clearwater smiled at her, “I’ll catch you too Princess.”

Luisa grinned as she left her chamber.

She had forgotten that there were no less than six guards at her door.

“Princess… we are on strict orders to…”

“Its fine scouger, Forge isn’t it?”

“Yes Princess.” Forge bowed.

“I need sparring partners, you can accompany me to the training quarters, yes?”

Forge looked at his fellow scouger’s somewhat confused.

“Um…of, of course Princess.”

“Great thanks.”

She padded down the corridor letting her hand brush along the  wall.  She promised she would enjoy this day, make the most of it, after all she had no idea how bad tomorrow could be.

* * *

Darcius had been informed of the meeting that afternoon.  He spun the large bottle of sky in his fingers. 

How long would I need in the Princess’ chamber to get that sword? Not long! Just a moment. It was my perfect chance! 

The Abbot, Finn and Thorne would be occupied, far from the princess’ chamber. The chest was open. All he needed was to walk in and take it.  He heaved on his armour, and cracked open the vial of sky sweet Chopland had given him. 

Today is the day.

He gulped down the Sky, and waves of relaxation and clarity washed over him.

Amazing.

Everything felt brighter, better, he smiled.  This is why they called it ‘Sky’ after all.  The sky.  He thought back to when he first saw the real sky, his first mission as a scouger.  The colours, the light, like a beautiful moving tapestry.  The impossibility of it.  The enormity of it.  He knew at that moment that no one should be denied that magic.  Under his reign all of the catains will see the real sky, not the one from a bottle… and when they do… they will know

But first he was probably going to have to kill a lot of them.

*  *  *

Luisa trained as hard as she had ever, her swing had improved, the weeks of running, exercising and practicing were paying off. Although the scouger guards were going light, she could feel things going well.  They broke for lunch and shared jokes.  Luisa was laughing before catching sight of the dark stain by the wall of the practice chamber.

She decided it was time to leave, to go and work on her dewin. 

The scougers followed her and together they walked towards the Reader’s chambers, passing a room splattered in blood, being scrubbed by moppers.  

Finn’s student. 

The traitors had stopped at nothing.

I’ll show them.

She clenched her jaw and powered ahead towards the readers.

*  *   *

 The abbot was sitting alone in a large chamber in the Readers quarters.  He was shaken. Finn had told him everything and he had been too damn slow.  Darcius had understood the evil before he.  Darcius had, of course saved the princess’ life but, he had acted alone. Been reckless as usual. Darcius didn’t understand yet how weak they were apart. Like a stone with a crack they would be ground to dust!

He needed to find a way to bring Darcius onboard, by the dragons! He needed him focussed; now more than ever.  Thorne was getting better by the day, he would soon have order, he just needed to bring them together!

*  *  *

King Groath sat in his cell.  His day had come, he and the blue-eyed catain would wreak destruction through Cataindar.  The catain knew a way out, an unguarded exit to his world above;  he had cunning.  The king breathed deeply. The thought of being free and with a sword in his hand made his heart beat hard. He was panting with excitement. 

It was perfect.

To be in the centre of the catain’s nest, with one of them on his side? One that will help him kill?

Calm yourself.

He willed himself relax.  There would be plenty of time to wreak death.  Every dream he had for the last three decades was going to come true!  The perversity of the situation pleased him, the years, the wait, now to be free, here, oh, sweet revenge!

A slow chugging laugh filled his chest, he slapped the wall unable to contain himself he laughed and laughed until tears ran down his scarred face and dripped from his snout.

--

Thank you very much for staying up-to-date with Cataindar!

I hope you are enjoying - if you are please carry on voting, commenting and recommending Cataindar! It means the world and has helped this book grow so much.

As always I am looking for feedback as we reach the finale chapters - I want to hear what you think!

See you Wednesday my friends!