CHAPTER NINE

Luisa rolled over, and sleepily opened an eye.  The blurry image focused into a large windowless room with walls of carved stone. Clearwater’s softly breathing frame was curled up in a woven basket and in the grand fireplace a fire crackled.  Luisa opened her hand; her pendant lay in her palm. 

Her heart ached from the day before, but at least the abbot and Clearwater had told her the truth.  If they had wanted to kill her or eat her they would have done so when she was asleep.  She sat up quietly and tip-toed out of bed.  She had got as far as the double doors to the dressing chamber, when she saw Clearwater stretch, and her big eyes snapped open,

“Oh Princess! Good morning!” 

“Hi,” said Luisa.

Clearwater pulled herself up, she was wearing a white sleeping nightie her night cap quite askew, “I’m sorry! Oh dragons, I slept in, it won’t happen again Princess! Let me set your clothes and food! Please princess what would you like for breakfast?”

Luisa couldn’t help but smile,

“You have nothing to say sorry about, and I don’t mind Clearwater, I’ll eat anything.”

Clearwater hurriedly threw on her black smock and ran out the door. While she was out Luisa pulled on the doors to her dressing chamber, the room that lay beyond looked like it belonged in a costume shop.  There was an assortment of strange clothes, fur pelts, chainmail, lace blouses, pantaloons, flung around in no particular order.

She poked about for something to wear and came across a dress that caught her eye, she tried to lift it, it sparkled with gems, and was embroidered with detail, it was also seriously heavy.

On a wooden rail Luisa found a selection of relatively normal looking dresses.  She put one on and it fitted her perfectly. It was made from a red corduroy and had a large collar with over sized black buttons down the front.

  Luisa looked down at herself, she looked like something out of Austin Powers. In a wooden box, was a mismatch of shoes, riding boots, pieces of armour and a pair of black dolly shoes. She pulled out the dolly shoes and slipped them on. 

Further in the room lay a long black chest, like an Egyptian sarcophagus. It was covered in deep scars and scrapes. Luisa traced her finger along the chipped seam, there seemed no clear way of opening it. She got her fingernails under the seam and pulled at the lid, it was sealed shut. Locked from the inside.  Her exploration was cut short by Clearwater’s entry carrying a tray.

“Ahh!” said Clearwater distressed, “You have dressed yourself!”

“Oh sorry, am I not allowed to wear this?”

“No, no, of course, they are all yours Princess” Clearwater sagged.

“I have brought you some breakfast.”

On a plate there was a kind of cake and some vegetables.

“Oh umm, thanks, Clearwater this looks nice.”

 Luisa sat and bit into the cake, it was tough, and heavily spiced.  Her face twisted with the flavour,

“Wow, that’s um, really nice…” she tried one of the vegetables, it was kind of like a black potato, boiled and so strongly herbed it made her eyes water.

“Oh these are great too, thanks Clearwater. Um, where do these go when I am finished?”

“Back to me Princess.”

Luisa handed them back Clearwater who bowed and exited. Luisa saw her shadow linger under the door. She crept forward and pulled the door ajar carefully. Clearwater was carefully wrapping the cake in a napkin and put it in her pocket and furiously pushed the vegetables from the plate into her mouth and then licked the plate clean.  Luisa cleared her throat and Clearwater jumped and let out a shriek.