CHAPTER ONE

White Manor School, London, England.

Luisa was yanked by the sleeve of her school uniform as Stacey wrenched her towards the shouts of, "Fight! Fight!"

"Ow! Stacey don't," Luisa tried to tug her sleeve back.

"Don't be a loser Luisa! It's Terry vs. Oliver. I dunno who deserves a bigger beating, that psycho Terry or that dirty pervert Oliver, so come on!" Stacey twisted the sleeve of Luisa's black sweatshirt and the material bit into Luisa's wrist. She dragged Luisa forward with a sharp snap. "Let's go!"

I hate fights. Luisa thought as she stumbled forward, following her outstretched arm, failing to keep up with Stacey's long strides.

I suppose it was only a matter of time until they butted heads. Terry holds the official title of 'Hardest Boy in the Year' beating the crap out of anyone that crosses him. Oliver tends to enjoy the long-term humiliation of his victims. The last place I want to be is near either of them.

They joined more of students charging through White Manor School's tatty playground towards the dusty knoll known as the Mound. Cresting the Mound Luisa could see the two fighters lit like shadow-puppets in the summer sun. Beyond the mound a thirty foot chain-link fence was all that separated them from a roaring motorway that pumped thousands of commuters into the heart of London.

Why are there never any bloody teachers? Luisa chanced a quick scan of the playground as she was towed along, hoping a teacher might be coming to break it up the fight before it got going. None. In all directions White Manor students in black school uniforms charged towards the Mound like a troop of baboons, leaping up, whooping and screaming, "Fight! Fight! Fight!" One lone character loped away from the tide of students.

Matthew.

With a quick look over his shoulder, Matthew leapt at the school gates and rolled over the barbed-wire that crowned the top, dropping down to his freedom.

Using the fight to escape school, clever. Luisa's small smile was wiped as she had to scramble to avoid clattering into students running past. They love it when Terry fights. Her stomach began to knot in on itself, tied up with dread. I've been in this school for nearly three years and I still can't bear to watch.

But Stacey continued to drag Luisa deep into the jostling crowd of students that formed a living boxing-ring around the two boys. Luisa was shunted back and forth in the throng, then Stacey's grip snapped away. Luisa floundered, twisting around, looking for her friend when a girl behind her grunted, "Move out the way dick-head!" and shoved Luisa in the back. Luisa lost her balance, her hands meeting the dusty ground. The crowd surged and a black shoe punted Luisa's hand and a shin cracked into her face.

"Ow! Shit!" She tucked away her hand and struggled forward. Get up Luisa! She had seen people get randomly beat-up like this before, just for being in a vulnerable position at the wrong place and at the very wrong time. Like now. She pulled herself back to her feet. "I said move, you prick!" Luisa felt another thump in her back and she fell forward once again through the crowd, righting herself at the front of the ring.

The two fighters stood in the centre, squared up, faces close. Terry stood a foot-shorter than Oliver, but was twice as wide. His shaved head looked like it had been shaped from the smacks of a spade and his face was set in a snarl; wrinkled up nose and lips pulled back, baring crossed-up teeth.

Through his clenched bite, Luisa could hear Terry's words, "What you 'fink you're a badman now Oliver? Fink you wanna face me? I'm gonna end you right now bruv. Look at all dese people come watch me brock you up!"