CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

She woke back at her grandmother's house to a knocking on her door. Her grandmother entered.

"Wake up Luisa. We have to find you something suitable to wear. We are touring Ruthin School today."

Brilliant. Just about the last thing I want to do.

Luisa flopped back on her bed and stared at the ceiling as her grandmother picked through her clothes, tossing them to the side as she dismissed them one by one.

"No. No. No. God what awful clothes. No. No. Useless."

Luisa sat up and frowned at her grandmother.

"Can't I just wear normal clothes?"

"I will have to find one of your mother's old dresses to wear Luisa. All of your clothes are quite unsuitable. We are going to one of the best boarding schools in the country, so no, you cannot wear your 'normal' clothes. You must look presentable."

Luisa was put into an old formal dress that used to belong to her mother. The collar scratched her neck and it smelt like mothballs.

Hugh picked them up and quietly drove to Ruthin School, he parked the car outside the school gates.

"Are you not going to take us in?" Luisa's grandmother asked sharply.

Hugh looked passed the gates and into the school grounds sullenly.

"No ma. I swore I would never go back there. I might have only been a little 'un... but a promise is a promise. I am not going through those gates."

Luisa's grandmother tutted loudly.

"Well that's ridiculous. I'm very glad you have maintained the maturity of a thirteen-year-old Hughbert."

Hugh said nothing, his rough hands picking at the rubber of the steering wheel. He would not meet Luisa's eye as she left the car.

Luisa and her grandmother went through the grand wrought iron gates and then stopped at the beginning of the long gravel path to the school. Luisa took in the sight. This was like no school she had seen before. The bright sun lit it up, enhancing every colour. There were immaculate rolling green striped lawns that led to a fine old stone building covered in a deep red ivy. The school beyond looked like a miniature castle. Carved into the rolling lawns was a white gravel path that led to the large main door. Standing in front of the door Luisa could make out a man in a three piece suit stood with a blonde girl to his side. Luisa looked up at her grandmother who was smiling proudly, the sun lit her face and she looked almost like a nice person.

"Luisa, welcome to Ruthin School. Our family have attended this school for a very, very long time."

They began to walk up the path. The suited man came forward with his hand extended,

"Ms. Wynn. It is very good to finally meet you. Your support of our school over all these years is truly, so very much appreciated. I am delighted to meet you in person. You must be Luisa."

He shook Luisa's hand.

"Welcome Luisa, I am Mr. Benson, the proud headmaster of Ruthin School. We have been educating students since the twelfth century, including quite a few of your ancestors as I am sure you know. We are widely recognised as one of the finest boarding establishments in the world. Allow me to introduce Tess. Tess is an outstanding student and has kindly agreed to help introduce Luisa to Ruthin School."

Tess was a little taller than Luisa and had a mane of blonde hair that was pushed back up and over her head. She was incredibly pretty with a golden tan and shining blue eyes. She looked grown up past her years wearing a blazer, blouse and fitted jeans. A large string of pearls were around her neck, and there were more pearls in her ears and she smiled to reveal a mouth full of large perfect pearl-white teeth.