CHAPTER SEVEN

Back to our chained up friend.... 

*  *  *

The prisoner stood straight, his eyes closed. His large coned ears twitched, detecting the pitter-patter of paws on stairs. His stairs. He sniffed the air; it was an unfamiliar scent, not the cowardly new guard.  The creature was nearly on his floor.  An orange glow framed the door to his cell as the stranger reached his corridor.

“Hello?” He called out, sounding deliberately weak.

Any communication he could get, any information snatched could be useful.

“Hello?” He called again.

The shutter at the bottom of his door shunted open.  He squinted against the light.  Still his visitor said nothing. Fury balled inside him. It had happened before; occasionally they would find a way to come down, and place an eye at the cell door to stare at their prize.  A shadow lingered under the door.

“Speak!” His voice boomed with all its power, “Why have you come? To gawp? Speak, or enter! And let us look upon each other!”

He snarled, and threw his frame against the chains with all his might, slinging his thick tail towards the vent.  If he could just grab with it a leg to break, a meal would surely follow!

His attempt was met with the sharp sting of a sword.

Argh!” He whipped his tail back into the cell, leaving a streak of blood across the grimy cell floor.

In the flickering light he saw a piece of paper flutter to the floor, and the torch was dropped as the visitor slowly padded away.  Now alone, he once again extended his tail and with much stretching pulled the paper back into the cell. Written upon it were just two words;

BE READY.’

The prisoner looked at the words until the torch died out.  He sank down.  The small ember of hope he had always held burst into flame. 

He would be ready.

*  *  *

I hope you enjoyed it guys... if you did, please vote! 

As always your votes and comments mean the world! Thank you!

Dedication to @JayVictor. Ton of feedback and motivation today, hopefully Cataindar is getting darker! :-) If you guys haven't checked out  Slave Days updated each and every Friday... well a. you are missing out and b. you should.