CHAPTER SIX

Luisa stared mesmerised into the box of treasures.

Laying in blue satin, were several pieces of jewellery. So exquisite and perfect, each piece glinted in the torchlight vying for her attention.

 The abbot had dismissed Clearwater with a wave of his paw, and had placed the dark wooden case on the desk.  He gestured to Luisa to go towards it, and as she did so, the box had opened… seemingly by itself.

Now she was enthralled in the beauty of the pieces that lay inside.

Rings, cuffs, gorgeous necklaces and a pendant glittered in front of her, each one containing a polished black stone. Like Onyx, but with depth; like staring into a miniature universe.

The abbot's voice sounded far away,

“Luisa, choose your piece.”

There was only one. Luisa’s whole being was drawn to a silver pendant. She could not tear her eyes from its captivating detail. Etched silver spun delicately around the black stone in the centre.  A chain framed it, the piece set in the satin behind.

Luisa gently put her hand out and touched the pendant,

“Take it,”

She let her hand close around the pendant and lifted it from the case.

She was rapt. She paid no heed to the other pieces, nor the spots that lay empty marked only by the indentations of the satin. She paid no attention as the box closed on its own accord.

She looked towards the abbot, his old face creased into a smile.

“Princess, you may put it on, wear it, and when you fall asleep tonight you shall wake up in your own bed once more.”

Luisa looked again at the pendant, the black stone in the centre looked like a tiny planet.  She put it over her head and it settled comfortably around her neck. 

“Thank you,” she said, and her mind caught up with her. She was a mistaken princess in an underground land of giant, talking cats. She needed to get home. Now.

“Abbot, wait, I’m sorry. My mum is going to be going absolutely mental. I really have to get home. This pendant is nice, it’s really nice actually, but I don’t think that is going to work, can’t I just go home the way I came?  Get a ladder or something in that little glass thingy.”

The abbot snorted, “The Royal Chamber is not a little glass thingy, and that will most certainly not work. Luisa in this respect you will have to trust me.”

Luisa sagged. The abbot got up to leave,

“Princess, I know you have more questions. When you have completed your rites here everything about the catains will make much more sense. For now, trust me, that pendant will send you home tonight.” He said it with some finality, but as he spoke his features softened. He was silent for a moment, then continued, “Believe me too… We are very grateful you have come, you are needed… now more than ever.”

The abbot was suddenly overcome with emotion, and pulled a cloth from his stained robes.  He wiped his face, nodded at Luisa, and left the room.  

 What the heck did that mean?  She sat on the bed and put her head in her hands.

Clearwater poked her head around the door,

“Clearwater, please come in, listen.  This whole thing is a big mistake. I need to go back home. The abbot said if I took this pendant…”

“Oh my, it's beautiful!” Clearwater gasped,

“Yes, well, thank you, but the abbot said if I go to sleep with it round my neck… Argh!” With a shudder she dropped her face back into her hands, “It’s useless. I’m trapped.”

She felt Clearwater’s soft arm go round her neck.

“Princess please don’t be upset.” Luisa had never been hugged by a giant cat before, and she was surprised by how comforting it was.

“Shh, it’s ok, all you need to do is fall asleep with your necklace, and you’ll go back home, that’s the way it has always worked.”

“Clearwater, how can I even go to sleep, I’ve fallen through a flipping stone in a bloody ruin… oh god this is insane.”

She felt Clearwater withdraw,

“Princess, I have something.” Clearwater fished in her pocket and withdrew  a tiny corked glass bottle with some dirty looking water inside, “This will help.”

In terms of doing strange things in a day, this was something that could actually make sense.  Luisa uncorked the bottle and sipped on the liquid; it tasted bitter but not unpleasant. Clearwater gestured for her to finish, so she drunk it down. Clearwater then slowly pulled back the retro bedspread, and Luisa obediently got in.

“Its called ‘Sky’ Princess, it’s not really allowed in Cataindar.  I don’t do it unless I can’t sleep, a lot of people do too much and… Anyway, my mum said a little is OK… it’ll help relax you.”

As Clearwater spoke a gentle feeling of warmth kindled from Luisa’s chest, like someone was stroking her insides with a feather.  Her skin began to tingle, it felt like it was alive, separate to her. She pulled her hand from the covers and felt her pendant, she could feel every tiny grove of the surrounding silver casing, and the smooth beauty of the black stone. Moving gently through the covers sent warm feelings rippling over her.  She smiled happily, the room went in and out of focus. She looked at Clearwater’s face, her small nose, and big grey eyes. She couldn’t remember what she was so worried about.

Her final thought before she drifted to sleep was,

These catains really aren’t so bad…

 --

Subscribers win prizes, get access to exclusive subscriber-only content and find out Cataindar news first. Simply sign up at Cataindar.com.   

As always your votes and comments mean the world! Thank you!

Well thank you again everyone that has kept up. So much amazing feedback, helpful tips, corrections and suggestions.   

Showed the prologue and chapter one to a local writing legend Byrna Barclay.  She loved it and had some great edits! Both of those have been tweaked and updated because of you guys. Really amazing!  

 --