Chapter Twenty-Two || (2/2)

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Not me because you're probably going to kill me by the end of this chapter.

__________________________

Ashley

A FaceTime call from Niall flashed on my phone screen. I answered it and was surprised when all I saw was the darkness and all I heard sniffles. I got up and walked to the front yard, away from everybody, since I knew Niall was probably having a breakdown. This wasn't the first time he called me because he was having a breakdown. He's called me a bunch of times ever since he told me about his situation at home. Or he would just randomly appear by my bedroom window whenever he's not feeling the best and we would just hang out and fall asleep.

"Are you okay?" I ask softly. I was deeply worried.

"When are you coming back? I need you." He croaked out. He sniffles and lets out a breath.

"Soon. I'm sorry I'm not there right now. I-" I was rudely cut off by a loud noise inside the house. "What the fuck." I say, furrowing my eyebrows and turned towards the front door.

An angry girl voice started to talk on FaceTime. I knew it was Eva, Niall's sister. She started to ramble on about something and I tried to listen but Niall hung up.

I sighed and went back inside, walking into the living room to see Audrey in tears. She was pacing in the living room while talking to somebody on the phone. Everybody was frantically asking her what was wrong and I told them to stop because she's on the phone. Audrey's laptop was shattered on the floor, must've been the noise I heard earlier. She then said goodbye to the person she was on the phone in and she put her phone back in her pocket. She was shaking and tears were spilling out of her eyes.

"Get in m-my car." She says shakily. We all agreed and went inside the van. She turned on the ignition and continued to cry as she drove. It was raining hard out and I was having a serious case of déjà vu.

It was like that time mum found out dad was at the hospital.

Pitter-Patter-Pitter-Patter-Pitter-Patter-Pitter-Patter

Soon we arrived at the hospital and I knew it couldn't be good. If she was dragging us to the hospital and she was crying, it must've been something that had to do with Venus.

My stomach churned as we exited the car. Audrey walked up to the receptionist and we stayed back.

Emily was gnawing on her nails and Dean paced around. Harry kept his eyes at the ground and Nathaniel was staring at me nervously. We were all a wreck.

Audrey came back a minute later and gestured for us to follow. We walked up the steps until we stood in front of room 146. Audrey told us to stay put and she went inside.

I heard the rain through the open window behind us.

Pitter-Patter-Pitter-Patter-Pitter-Patter-Pitter-Patter

The tension grew as the minutes passed and I didn't know how long I could manage this for. Nathaniel was nowhere to be seen, but I didn't worry much because I knew he was around. Dean was leaning on the window, tapping his fingers anxiously on the window pane. Emily's fingers were slightly bleeding because she was biting her nails a lot, but she didn't seem to notice since she was still chewing on them. Harry just continued to be quiet with his hands jammed into his pockets, staring at the ground.

Audrey then opens the door and motioned us to come in. We walked in and saw Venus laying on the hospital bed, staring at the ceiling as silent tears streamed down the temples of her face.

"I'm so sorry." She croaked out, putting the emphasis on 'so'. "I-I was lying. I didn't move just because of my dad."

She was extremely pale. She looked completely lifeless. Her voice was so flat and so emotionless you could've mistaken her for a robot if you weren't looking at her as she spoke.

"What else did you not say?" Dean asks, careful not to raise his words. I knew he was holding back something and was struggling to keep his voice low.

"I.." Venus says the rest of the sentence so quietly that you couldn't hear her. But, I read what she said on her lips as she mouthed it. Truly hoping I read her lips wrong.

'I'm dying'

__________________________

Author's Note[8/10/14]:

Cliffhanger-sort-of-thing???

Very short chapter but I needed to do this. I was very indecisive about this but I thought why the fuck not?

My WiFi finally works! Yay!

Killing off characters is not my thing but hey! Live a little.

Jean Chanty xx