Chapter One

Baekhyun:

"Your engagement has been finalised." My father's voice wasn't loud, but in this room and with those words, it boomed in my ears.

"Excuse me?" I said. Even now I knew enough not to give in to the impulse to express my unhappiness with an outburst, it would just tell him he had found another weapon to hurt me.

"Park Holdings. Their daughter is the right age. There will be a merger. Nothing to concern yourself with." Father waved a hand in the air, as if to dismiss my involvement in his company like I was an ant. Like he didn't plan for me to be in the very same seat he was sitting in in a few years. "You will marry before the end of the year. We will announce your engagement next weekend after your brother's wedding. Dress appropriately please. Don't embarrass me." He finished.

My jaw ached from keeping my mouth tightly shut. I imagined my lips were glued together at this point. The end of the year? How long had he been planning this already? Not that he hadn't gone over my head before with decisions that regarded my life. It made me feel like a child. Like I was still being led around in diapers and had a pacifier in my mouth, dressed up nicely in miniature versions of his clothes so like he said, I wouldn't embarrass him. I didn't even have the strength to put up a fight. My head dropped and after taking a deep breath, I left his office without a word. Hopefully he had taken that as a nod and wouldn't come after me later for being rude. I bypassed my father's secretary who was on break and tapping away at her phone by her desk. Like me, she knew her place in my father's life. That meant she knew never to be too far away when he needed something from her. She offered me a small nod which I returned and then I was off again, walking quickly towards the elevator. Why the fuck was it so hot in here. My hands itched with the need to reach up and pull at my tie, pop open the top button of my shirt and shake my head from side to side to loosen the tension in my neck.

"Don't embarrass me." It echoed in my head like Morse code. So I didn't. I nodded and smiled at the people my father employed and that thought they would get somewhere by knowing the CEO's son, but I did it quickly still, my eyes locked on the elevator. It was open now, the light inside illuminating it like it was a sign from the gods themselves that I needed to get the fuck out of here. I jogged the last few steps when I heard it beep that it was closing, stumbling over my feet and almost falling flat on my face.

"You're getting married?!" My friend shouted over the phone. I sighed deeply and went over to my wardrobe while he freaked out. "Like, to a girl?" He asked. Sehun was one of the few people in my life who knew I was gay.

"Apparently." I called out so he could hear me on the phone from this far away.

"No way. You can't." He chuckled and there was banging from his side before he was back, barking down the phone. "Do you need help getting out of it? I know a friend who can totally fake being your girlfriend for a while." I laughed and flipped through my collection of suits that my father had bought for me.

"That won't do anything. I've just accepted that my father is an insane control freak."

"We have until the end of the year to escape. Let's join the military." He said joyfully. That actually made me pause. Joining the army would be a great way to get away from my father for a while...but I couldn't take that long of a break from music.

"I have gigs to go to. You know that."

"I know, I know." He muttered and I heard Vivi growl in the background.

"Go. Before she eats you." I said and bounced on the bed so I could reach for my phone.

"I will. But this isn't over. I'll think of something." He said just before hanging up. I tossed my phone back and forth in my hand. Think of something? There was nothing to think of. My father had made up his mind and that was it. He didn't care what I wanted or needed. What did I need anyway?