Chapter 25: The Prophecy

Marius

To break me like a promise so casually cruel in the name of being honest - Taylor Swift

I thank the Gods when I see the beach and the Armed Guards are there to escort Sage and I home. Seeing my closest friend Adam I have to resists the urge to show my pure uncut joy of finding my mate. While I informed him vaguely about Sage any doubt he had about me finding my true mate is bashed when his eyes flick to marks that sit above our hearts. The same mirror images but one of gold and one of silver. Seeing the silver mark is odd because I know I am not a God but I am mated to a Goddess. Sage talks and introduces herself to the men and the royal’s witch: Ethel the witch who has cared for me since infancy. I can only beam as Sage talks she is so sure of herself and I can already tell she will be a wonderful queen maybe even better than my mother.

Finally feeling comfortable back in my ocean with my tail. It’s time for Sage to complete her transformation.

“Close your eyes love. Relax and lift your legs a bit out of the water.” I tell her and pull a scale off my wrist allowing the golden oil to fall on her legs. In moments her legs are a pearly green tail.

“Oh my gosh!!! Mar are you seeing this?? Are you freaking serious!” She pulls herself on top of me.

“What did you think was going to happen Amica?” I ask everyone watches amused.

“I don’t know!!! Like a giant puff of smoke and maybe a few lightning strikes” Everyone laughs at her outburst

“You’ve really got to stop reading so many fantasy novels.” I pull her into deeper water where the other merpeople are. Well more like drag it’s as if she is a beached beluga.

 “Wait Mar how do I use this thing?” She swings her tail splashing water everywhere.

“Relax it’ll come naturally.”

“Perfect deary!” Ethel says and claps her hands.

“Thank you ???”

“My names Ethel. I’m the sea witch that lives in the castle. I’ve known your Marius since he was just a guppy. He used to have the chubbiest little cheeks!” She smiles and pinches my face.

“Eths stop it!” I push her ribbed hands

“I’m Sage you already know that… but it’s nice to meet all of you” She addresses all my knights.

“I’m Adam. I’m the head of the royal guards.”

“A pleasure to meet someone so noble” She bows her head a bit. She is a natural. Although she has no need to bow to anyone. It is very comforting Sage can interact with my men.

“We should start our route home your highness” Adam says.

“Of course. Let’s be off” I take Sage’s hand.

Adam and I swim at the front with the guards posted all around Sage and Ethel who are yacking like old friends. Ethel is explaining all sorts of things about being a sea witch. I have a feeling those two will be good friends.

“What is your gift?” Ethel asks Sage.

I cringe at the question. Under the water Sage has immediately gotten ahold of how to project and “speak” to everyone.

“I umm… don’t have any powers.” She says lightly.

“Oh nonsense! You’re a Godd_” Ethel starts

“Ethel that enough” I quickly cut her off.

Ethel nor Sage say anything.

“You haven’t explained to your mate that she has all the marking of a Goddess and will become one have you?” Adam says.

“No. How am I supposed to tell her that her safe haven from her rotting land is threatened and she is the only one with the power to save it?” I answer.

I’ve pushed back all thoughts of what I know is in store for her. Those dreams were no mere coincidence. They were snapshots of what may happen to her. Sage has already revealed her first gift Premonition. She can see vague pictures of the future through visions disguised as dreams.

“You know the Prophecy Marius. You must take her and show her the scrip our Gods left for us. Time is of the essence. I don’t know how much longer we can keep out The Rebelles. You’re lucky that Your absence wasn’t aired or we could have been arriving in a war zone."

“I know Adam. But what was I supposed to say? My love I know you just escaped your death from the only home you’ve ever known but now it’s up to you to save my people from certain death at the hands of Sea Witches’ and their followers who have wielded dark magic. Oh yeah and I’ve known my mate could possibly end up being our savior. Lucky you!” I say so harshly it disturbs the guards around us.

“Listen my friend. I know you are very confused on how to move forward. When we get to the city you must talk to your father and explain everything. He is the wisest and will know how to proceed.” I nod at Adams words knowing he is right.

That damn prophecy. I've been pushing that stupid thing to the back of my mind to try and keep Sage safe. As if not thinking about it could make the Gods not choose my mate as the one who will fight the rebellion.

After the Gods retired to the above, leaving my ancestors in charge of our people. They left a tablet depicting the rise and falls of our kind. We were prosperous. When we read of dark magic that could kill and mane our people. They tried to hide it and keep it from those who could wield it. The witches. But as predicted no amount of hiding could stop the unavoidable. Witches gained strength and with strength and power they could do as they pleased my Great Grandfather banished those found using the dark elements. But little did anyone know the Witches were gaining support from the outside. Using prisoners kept in their taverns as warriors giving them powers stolen from other mermaids and mermen. But a glimmer of hope survived. As the tablet said. The son of a king will be mated to a Goddess who out lived death itself. But it never told of the generation in which this would happen. As each prince found their mate they would hope that they were our savior but also hope they weren’t. My mate Sage was chosen as the newest Goddess.

I understand why she was chosen. She is everything a savior needs to be. She is strong she indeed outlasted death. She is compassionate and talks with the age and wisdom of mermaids who have hundreds of years above her. Looking at her talk to Ethel I can see her for her true colors. A beautiful and strong mermaid. She gracefully swims with the current. Her pearl tail scattered with green scales long wispy fins end her tail. Her chest has our mating mark on it that glows. Rows of green scales cover her breasts. The white pearls hang delicately on her neck. Pearl fins sprout from her forearms swaying with the water.

“Mar. You’re staring at me” Sage breaks my thoughts.

“Sorry love. I was just thinking being a mermaid is very becoming on you” She just laughs and shakes her head at my comment.

And as a Goddess it is even more becoming.